Making Friends

st55
st55 Posts: 9
edited May 2008 in The bottom bracket
Anyone have trouble at this ?

Moved into the area a while back, didnt really know anyone before i got here and ive been so frigging busy since then ive not really had a chance to go out much (being shy as hell doesnt help tbh). Mostly oldies down our road so its a bit difficult to get on a level with them. Anyone found themselves in this position before, what have you done to make it a bit better

Routine:

Get Up
Study
Lunch
Maybe Out On Bike
Dinner
Study

Repeat Mon - Sun

Comments

• ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...join the local cycling club?
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    You got to get into a situation where you'll meet people. Being home alone or out on the bike alone isn't going to lead to meeting people. Like Chris says, joining a local cycling club seems like a good start for you.

Where are you and what are you studying?
  • st55
    Live just outside of Aylesbury. Looking at joining a club but due to time being out on the bike is in drips and drabs it would be a bit diificult to keep up on most runs (not in the highest fitness state).

Am studying telecomms
  • another jacko
    another jacko Posts: 891
    Am studying telecomms

Phone a friend? :wink:
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    st55 wrote:
    Live just outside of Aylesbury. Looking at joining a club but due to time being out on the bike is in drips and drabs it would be a bit diificult to keep up on most runs (not in the highest fitness state).

Am studying telecomms
    Local CTC rides? Local campaigning group rides? Both would have very easy-going monthly rides.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Are there other people on your course who you could meet up with?

Other than that a cycle club is a good idea. CTC Rides are very slow and super sociable, think 1 hour on the bike, 3 hours in a pub, 1 hour home. Usually a very fiendly bunch unlike some of the normal roadie clubs I've been to.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    How old are you and are you living alone?

When I first moved to a new area, I house-shared. Still am in fact due to the exhorbitant price of houses - but met a lot of mates that way, some very good ones.

Also agree with Nolf, if you can find similar age groups.
  • st55
    Im 33, live with partner but shes away all week with work and only comes back every other weekend.

Hard to meet people on the course as im studying from home
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Aylesbury CC are a very friendly lot - not sure how fast their clubs runs are but you could at least try them for size:
    http://www.aylesburycc.org/

Failing that, lots of cyclists haunts around that way:
    - Worlds End Garden Centre near Tring
    - Cafe in The Woods, Aston Hill
    - The Barn, Marsworth (near the reservoirs)
    get to any of them around 11am Sat or Sun and you'll meet roadies in abundance
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    Beer is a good source of establishing new friends, and you can combine it with cycling (as per Nolfs suggestions). Guinness is one of the best sports recovery drinks out there... :wink:
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Beer is a good source of establishing new friends, and you can combine it with cycling (as per Nolfs suggestions).

Probably not a good idea to take the combination too far, though - I speak from bitter (no pun intended) experience following such an episode whilst studying for my PhD, which in no particular order involved me falling off a lot, bruising several ribs, ending up in a bush, ruining a not-exactly-cheap wristwatch (with added sentimental value; I bought it out of my first ever "proper" wages) and my rear red LED lamp, and being in intermittent agony for a couple of weeks afterwards. As this all happened whilst crossing the campus at York University, those familiar with the place will realise I was damned lucky not to end up in the lake.... :oops:

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    Beer is a good source of establishing new friends, and you can combine it with cycling (as per Nolfs suggestions).

Probably not a good idea to take the combination too far, though - I speak from bitter (no pun intended) experience following such an episode whilst studying for my PhD, which in no particular order involved me falling off a lot, bruising several ribs, ending up in a bush, ruining a not-exactly-cheap wristwatch (with added sentimental value; I bought it out of my first ever "proper" wages) and my rear red LED lamp, and being in intermittent agony for a couple of weeks afterwards. As this all happened whilst crossing the campus at York University, those familiar with the place will realise I was damned lucky not to end up in the lake.... :oops:

David

Chapeau mate! That's class... :D

I used to go out quite a lot for late night friday training rides after the pub, and almost every time fell off, must have left kilos of my skin over the roads of Newport back then. Me and two mates even set off for a touring weekend at midnight after a night of stella, which had some amusing moments trying to climb out of Bristol towards shepton mallet..