REBA SLs plunging.

jimbonorth
jimbonorth Posts: 41
edited June 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I've recently bought a pair of Reba SLs and Im absolutely loving the lockout...what did I do without it!!!

Before the Rebas I had a pair of SID Race's and since putting the REbas on I notice that they seem to plunge forward far further down than the SIDS used to when I go down stairs or do a downhill run.

Ive tried pumping the postive air up to above my recommended max in theory to keep the forks more upright but doesnt seem to make any difference, is it just the fork characteristic or am I missing somehting?

cheers

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    on my Rebas (the race's) a bit of compression damping would sort it out

Oh and is the rebound set correctly? do they have time to re-extend before hitting the next bump - as such are they always compressed?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jimbonorth
    Ah thats interesting what you mention about compressin damping. I did notice it in the manual but was a bit confused it has to be said...I read a bit about the floodgate but means nowt to me....?

Rebound is set spot on as far as I can tell, I usually keep it fairly slow (xc racer at heart!)
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Forget the floodgate for the minute - try running your lockout dial between 3 o clock and 6 o clock. This increses the compression damping and stops them diving on spike inputs.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • jimbonorth
    Ive got the poploc (Poploc Remote??) mounted on my bars and when i push it in it goes to the bar and locks. Is it meant to click to certain degrees?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so you have the standard poplock nor the adjustable one?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jimbonorth
    Just the standard, doesnt have the blue adjuster on it, does that mean I have to pull off the gold gate symbol ontop of the lockout?
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    You fork has adjustable compression but the on-off design of your poplock means you can't exploit it.

Try holding the blue wheel on top of the RH fork leg in different positions and you'll see the effect it has on the forks stiffness. If it feels like this would solve your problem, you could buy a poplock adjust for your bars.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • jimbonorth
    Thanks for the help peeps, adjusted the compression damping under the gate gold dial at the top - adjusted the + air pressure and rebound and sweet as a nut !
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    jimbonorth wrote:
    Thanks for the help peeps, adjusted the compression damping under the gate gold dial at the top - adjusted the + air pressure and rebound and sweet as a nut !

the adjuster under the gold plug is the flood gate threshold not the compression damping.

So all you have done is stop the fork working till a certain point and the compresion damping is still set to minimum.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chobber
    Chobber Posts: 38
    I have the same forks and don't have this problem (and agree great forks for the money).

As Nick says the Floodgate is only for when the lockout is on (its designed to allow the fork to become active when locked if it hits soemthing big enough).

You haven't mentioned how you've set the negative air which could be a factor.

Also, as you said you've set the rebound to slow so going down steps (i.e. repetitive bumps in quick succession) is sure to make it pack down.

Chobber
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    thye are indeed brilliant, and i have to say i havent found this problem, but i also have the non adjustable remote lockout thing. cmae standard with my reba SL's.

incidnetlally has anyone seen the 09 rebas?
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/