descending - mmm, my favourite!!

2»

Comments

• natureboy
    natureboy Posts: 155
    DaveyL wrote:
    I love taking blind corners on the wrong side of the road with my eyes shut. It's just that feeling of danger you can't get from anything else. Love it!
    .I nearly hit a car doing that and ended up cyclo-crossing it up a grass bank.Its do-able because you know a car can be coming the other way - you're prepared for it. Overtaking a car into a blind bend spices it up further still.
    Dropping down into hebden bridge on the A6033 is good for blind overtaking, as is descending pole gate down into slaithwaite
  • The descents for me are the reward for having to bust a gut up a hill either riding or sometimes walking.
    Being on the heavier side of the scale, my descending is now very fast, especially on Sunday on the Medio Fondo when i was coming up to the back of a camper van very quickly. So i thought i would overtake, and let the driver know i was there. So i tapped on the drivers window!. She nearly jumped out of her skin, as i smiled and went past. Then i looked at my GArmin, i was doing 40mph at the time. And i peaked on that descent at 46mph.
    It took her 15 minutes to catch me up at the bottom of the descent.

I was always a good descender in my youth, but now even more so and i love the challenge, the thrill and rush of adrenalin. It is the prerfect reward for a long hard climb, nothing better. Now if all sportives were down hills only, i would be getting gold standards every time!,
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • natureboy
    natureboy Posts: 155
    The descents for me are the reward for having to bust a gut up a hill either riding or sometimes walking.
    Being on the heavier side of the scale, my descending is now very fast, especially on Sunday on the Medio Fondo when i was coming up to the back of a camper van very quickly. So i thought i would overtake, and let the driver know i was there. So i tapped on the drivers window!. She nearly jumped out of her skin, as i smiled and went past. Then i looked at my GArmin, i was doing 40mph at the time. And i peaked on that descent at 46mph.
    It took her 15 minutes to catch me up at the bottom of the descent.

I was always a good descender in my youth, but now even more so and i love the challenge, the thrill and rush of adrenalin. It is the prerfect reward for a long hard climb, nothing better. Now if all sportives were down hills only, i would be getting gold standards every time!,
    .Tapping on her window? That's crazy!
    The poor woman! I bet she thought "I hope that's shepherds pie in my knickers......"
    Its funny looking at drivers faces as you pass them.
    Most drivers don't realise how fast you can go on a bike, especially when some tw*t pulls out in front of you from a sideroad. Best to spit at their car as you pass.
    Thanks for the advice about putting weight on to descend faster.
    In a bike magazine I saw a downhill time trial competition - in the US I think it was - I'll enter it when I find out more.... Keep riding
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    nasahapley wrote:
    That's my local hill! I doff my cap to you for getting 53 down there, I've done exactly 51 loads of times but never any faster. Going round the slight kink at the bottom of the really steep bit never gets less scary either.

I think I was running a 53-11 top gear and pedalled like an idiot before getting down into a tuck. I seem to remember a cattle grid somewhere near the bottom just to spice things up aswell.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    DaveyL wrote:
    I love taking blind corners on the wrong side of the road with my eyes shut. It's just that feeling of danger you can't get from anything else. Love it!

Sounds pretty much like girlie man, sissy stuff to me. If you really want thrills all you have to do is remove the brakes from your 10 speed. You won't have to climb and descend
    any hills or even ride very far before the excitment starts. Eyes closed, wrong side of the road, can't even compare to no brakes. Now that's manly riding. You're talking just
    plain kid stuff.

Dennis Noward