triple to double

PJPenrouz
PJPenrouz Posts: 136
edited May 2008 in Workshop
Hi everybody,
I'd like to change from a triple chainset to a double. Do I have to change the front deraileur as well? Large and middle chainrings will be the same size as on the triple. How do I go about it? Sorry, I know it's been discussed but I cannot find it anywhere.
Cheers

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    to do it properly you need

new chainset
    new front mech
    new short cage rear mech
    (and possibly a new BB, depending on what you've got already)
    and shorten the chain a bit

In practice you can just get away with the chainset. The mechs will work, just that they won't be a snappy as the proper double ones
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    You will need - new crankset - new front derail - new front shifter - new bottom bracket
    - new rear derail(could be optional). How to go about it??? If you have never done anything lke this before, seek help. At the very least a bike maintainence book and
    hopefully a knowing friend. If not this, then the shop is where to go.

Dennis noward
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Someone will tell me it can't be done, but it sounds like you just want to lose the inner ring. Why cant you take off the inner ring, use a shorter bb and set the front mech high/low screws only work on the two rings?
    M.Rushton
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    it can be done but it all depends on what chainset and BB he currently has.

The shifting on a triple mech will be sloppy though, as the path the mech will travel through is not ideal. Given how cheap double mechs can be picked up for off ebay it's not worth it IMO
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • PJPenrouz
    PJPenrouz Posts: 136
    Thanks for that. I was hoping I would need to fiddle with the front derailler only. Currently I have FSA Gossamer triple 53/39/30 and it's gonna be replaced with Race Face Cadence 53/39 double. They both use the same external BB. I think it's gonna work. Am I wrong?