Ironman target

drewfromrisca
drewfromrisca Posts: 1,165
edited May 2008 in The bottom bracket
Ok as an incentive to recover from injury, once its sorted i've decided to have a crack at an ironman. Anyone done one out there? Any good books, tips, websites to recommend? I was a pretty decent distance runner till I got hip/back/leg injury but can't swim well due to a shoulder operation but I'm willing to push pass the pain on that and start swimming better.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Try looking on Triathlon specific website and forums such as slowtwitch. There are quite a few ex-Ironmen on here, but discussion is mainly focussed on the middle discipline. The benefit of cycling is that you can develop the economy and endurance from cycling and use the running and swimming as specific technique / skills training. Try taking a phased approach to your training - it takest longest to develop the stamina, endurance and speed from cycling so start there - build-up your endurance plateau before progressively phasing-in the other two. It's possible to complete a sub-10hr IM on 15-20hrs of training/wk - any more will be junk miles and just tiring - think as much about quality and recovery - every session needs to be specific and for a purpose. Good luck!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    I did Ironman UK a couple of years ago, having done several halves, and have pencilled in the Big Woody in the Forest of Dean this year. I'd aim for that if I were you - a lot cheaper and closer then the official version!

Get the miles in on the bike, be able to do 200Km with ease.

Build your running up gradually, on soft surfaces, but don't do more than about 18 miles and that only once.

Practice swimming in murky open water. If you swim like a food mixer, get some coaching. You should be able to get out after over an hour or so in the water with your legs having done nothing and still able to think. And this with people hitting you on the head and generally swimming over you unless you assert yourself. You need to develop the confidence to cope.
  • drewfromrisca
    I'm not too worried about running as I've done a fair few marathons, a lot of halfs and two mountain races. its the swimming that scares me! Do you recommend doing a few sprints then building up to half iron's etc?

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I'm not too worried about running as I've done a fair few marathons, a lot of halfs and two mountain races. its the swimming that scares me! Do you recommend doing a few sprints then building up to half iron's etc?

snap! I come from a similar running background to you by the sound of it. Bike doesn't scare me either, but the swim seems a b*gger. I've been having improver lessons and they have helped no end (my front crawl was appalling, it's still not great but a lot better!).

I have my first OW swim in a race in July, as I'm a pretty slow swimmer anyway I'm going to start near the back so at least I avoid the start scrum. Then hope I don't get lapped and ducked by too many people on the way round!!

I've entered a few races up to Oly distance so far this summer, but the overall aim is to do New Forest Middle Distance in September.

I'd definitely follow Rob's advice, Ironman branded events cost a bomb to enter compared to non Ironman branded distance events. Plus IMUK is in Exmoor, not the easiest place to attempt an IM!
  • drewfromrisca
    Ok cheers for the advice. 1st things 1st, I need to sort out this injury but I can make a headstart on the swim for now and keep on cycling as much as it will let me. Are coaches for swimming worth it? I'm a bit broke so not sure I can afford one. Do things like the paddles and flippers helpful?

• hammerite
    I don't have a coach, just go to adult improver lessons at the local council run pool. Costs me £55 for 10 x 1hr sessions. Problem with this is that I learn all strokes and not specific to what I need (although is still useful on the whole).

It might also be useful joining a tri club as they usually have a swim coach that helps out at swim sessions at no more cost than club membership and pool hire.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I'm signed up for this years half IM, to be honest I'm resenting the amount of training I have to do, prepare to become a social recluse!

Sunny days will pass you by cause you've got a big swim/run planned, then when you get out on the bike it'll be torrential, expect that and you won't be disappointed!

As for the swim, get out in a wetsuit, I've found that I'm a much better swimmer in the wetsuit than out, adds buoyancy to my overdeveloped cycling quads!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • drewfromrisca
    I'm preparing myself for the outcast period, I've done it before so know what to expect although I was living in South Wales then and not London so wasn't as many distractions. As from today I'm officially on the wagon so no-more alcohol for a while, my sugar intake has been cut drastically and I'm not eaten junk anymore. I do need some sort of training plan as I work better with that type of discipline instilled in me. Can anyone recommend a good book as I can read that better than look on sites.

• hammerite
    Drew - I have a beginnes tri book you can have, it's very basic though and probably not aimed at someone targetting an IM!

Have you done any triathlon before? If so then you'll already know a lot of the things it advises.
  • drewfromrisca
    Hammerite thanks, I've only done duathlon's as the swimming terrify's me and my shoulder was pretty weak.

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you want more experience of open water swimming, there are regular Saturday morning sessions run at Hayes or at Dorney Lake - best look on some of the Tri-specific notice boards for more info. Swimming in open water in a wetsuit is quite different from pool-swimming in terms of the stroke and the need to 'sight' and navigate.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..