What's a floodgate?

Ash_
Ash_ Posts: 385
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
OK,

I've just bought some Rock Shox SID team forks (2006 model). I appreciate they're going to need a bit of fiddling with to get them just right for me, but the one thing I'm confused about is what the "floodgate" does. I've downloaded the manual and apart from identifying it in the diagram on the first page, there's nothing. I know it can be adjusted, but why? And what difference will this make?

Thanks.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    it only comes into affect when you have the fork locked out, it sets the level at which the fork becomes active again, so if you have it set light, it will un lock very easily with small bumps but if you have it set high it will take a fair old bump to release the lockout.
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    Thanks Sheepsteeth,

An answer I can understand posted just minutes after my question. Nice one!!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    glad to help, i forgot to add that the point of it is to protect the fork and your arms. if it was a true solid lockout, every time you hit a bump after forgetting to unlock, you could kncker your arms and fork. as soon as the bump has passed the fork will lock out again.
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    Sheepsteeth to the rescue - Good work sir.

I find that I hardly ever use my floodgate adjuster, I rarely have the forks locked out, when I do its for climbing and I'm usually not going quick enough to allow much movement in the forks! Slow-ass climber!