What Happened To June....

meagain
meagain Posts: 2,331
edited May 2008 in The bottom bracket
....July, August and September? Swear it was October again already out there this a.m. Rain and autumnal mist. And the roads covered with bits of tree and leaves. Not even WARM rain!
Huh.
d.j.
"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Comments

• Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    lol.... I was back to overshoes and long fingered gloves today, don't you just love the Uk weather..... :?
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Hell of a blow job whilst out on the bike on Saturday :shock: :P
    bagpuss
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    bagpusscp wrote:
    Hell of a blow job whilst out on the bike on Saturday :shock: :P

Not just June that's bursting out all over then?
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • meagain
    "the bike"

A tandem then - surely quite dangerous?
    d.j.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    June does raise the cross bar some what :shock:

and my wifes name ain't June :idea:
    bagpuss
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    It's still May :wink:
  • interesting this morning - its gone from ridiculously windy and cold to being really wet warm and thunder and lightning! Was pretty scary but kinda cool this morning on the way in as the lightning lit up the sky. One good thing about living in the fens the storms are spectacular as you can see them across the flats!

It was only half way through the ride that I wondered if I should have bothered putting the hi-vis cover on the back pack :shock: like a moving target!

Gats
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    I know what you mean gats I used to live on one of the last high(ish) points on the edge of the Fens in a small village called Warboys and the lightning storms that used to come in from the east coast were spectacular and we also used to see mini twisters going across the fields.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • no way thats sooo weird!! my GF is from Warboys!! I'm in somersham just down the road! :D

gats
  • meagain
    And TODAY? More Novemberish really with the dense low cloud and poor visibilty.

Soon be Christmas!!
    d.j.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    It shocking isn't it?
    And so anti-motivational.
  • Weirdly don't mind riding in the rain as long as its warm. The initial push out the door in the morning is the hardest part but once I'm going I think its ok. Also the initial getting wet period is hard but again once your wet your wet so may as well get on with it.

There's very few kinds of weather that I wouldn't at least attempt to ride through.

Gats
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Its the after ride cleaning and washing that puts me off!
  • meagain
    "Its the after ride cleaning and washing that puts me off!"

know what you mean - it doesn't actually stop me going out, but normally one (just one, obviously!) of the pleasures of decent weather is not having to wash the bike every day!
    d.j.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    "Its the after ride cleaning and washing that puts me off!"

Been there, done that, hate it :roll:
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I was looking on a weather website, and apparently the end of May and beginning of June is Europes equivalent of a monsoon season!!

I remember it being similar weather this time last year as I did a half marathon on bank holiday monday where it was freezing cold, windy and chucking it down. Whilst we're sticking to a fen theme the race wasn't a million miles away in Brandon.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Normally I don't bother with a water bottle for commuting, at least not until the proper summer weather kicks in, but since I've just bought a new SIS bottle, I decided to remove my D-lock from it's holder (it hangs under the top bar of the frame and is big enough to prevent water bottles sitting in the holders), pack my cable lock in my backpack (don't like to commute without a lock, just in case) and take the shiny new water bottle with me on my commute.

About twenty minutes into the ride I was starting to feel a little parched so I reached down for the bottle, brought it up and saw that it was splattered with with, slimy mud and general road crap all around the nozzle and top (wouldn't have minded if it had just been the bottle sides).

And as for post-ride cleaning, I don't have a hose outdoors I can use (live in a flat) so I only clean the bike at weekends, regardless of what the weather is throughout the week and it seems to be fine. Obviously it means having to ride a dirty-looking bike for the remainder of the week but it's better than constant cleaning.
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    they'll probably be wet, cold and miserable :D

As the Monty python boys say...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1loyjm4S ... re=related
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • jellybellywmb
    no way thats sooo weird!! my GF is from Warboys!! I'm in somersham just down the road! :D

gats

Small world, we lived on orchard close, the newish little estate along station road opposite the Pepper Kitchens site.
    Never especially liked the place but was as close as we could afford to live to Cambridge where the wife worked.
    Liked Somersham ,that Kebab shop on the main road did the hottest chilli sauce ever :shock:
  • Ahh yeah I know where that is - the GF's folks own the oldest house in the village Ivy House the big Thatched cottage opposite the spa.

Haven't tried any of the establishments in Somersham especially not the kebab place looks a bit dodge to me!

Gats
  • NorwegianBlue
    NorwegianBlue Posts: 484
    Actually I think this weather is early, but not that early. Isn't this the weather we usually get for Wimbledon?
    "Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker
  • jellybellywmb
    Been out this evening, left at 16:30 dry and sunny, bib shorts , short sleeve jersey and sun cream just got back soaked to the skin splashed head to toe with mud(bloody farmers) and got a puncture 10 miles from home, but quite strangley.....
    A huge satisfied grin :D:D , wierd