M520 pedal clicking

toasty
toasty Posts: 2,598
edited May 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
My M520s have started clicking, after not that much riding, a few hundred mile max. They use the awkward tool to get inside, then have 2 sets of loose bearings.

Has anyone had a go at stripping these down to regrease? Is it easy enough to put them back together or should I just ride them to death and get another pair?

Comments

• Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    First thing to do is remove them and liberally grease the threads that hold them onto the cranks and then put them back on.

M520s are robust pedals and usually any clicking is the threaded joint "fretting".
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    They're not exactly expensive (£20 plus quid online if you look around).I got over 500 miles out of mine before swapping to XT (for bling value rather than performance reasons :oops: ). They shouldn't be too difficult to strip and rebuild, depends whether you want to fork out £ 2 for the tool and have the hassle of servicing them yourself or buying another set. If it was me I'd probably uprgrade the pedals and then go out and buy the tool to service the M520's because I couldn't face throwing them away and would rather have them as a working spare set despite the fact I'm unlikely to ever use them again.

Erm, but there again I do have some known personality irregularities :oops:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Splasher wrote:
    First thing to do is remove them and liberally grease the threads that hold them onto the cranks and then put them back on.

M520s are robust pedals and usually any clicking is the threaded joint "fretting".

Oh good point, I'll give that a shot.

I've already got the tool if they do need pulling apart, I was just wondering if anyone had experience of actually doing this with these pedals. They're more awkward than the 540s or XTs for stripping down due to the loose bearings.