Help - newbie needs clothes

xtremebunny
xtremebunny Posts: 2
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
first of all HI!! to everyone.

now for the serious bit...
ive got a gorgeous new myka elite and i love it. but i need some proper clothing as ive been ridin in jeans and t-shirt normally.

so what sort of clothing set-up do most people wear?
and whats needed in what weather?

thanks guys!!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nice bike!

Usually the best way is to layer the clothes up - start at the bottom, and add layers for the conditions.

You will always need a good pair of shorts or liner (and saddle!) and a wicking layer for your top.

If its windy, or rainy, you can add a thin water proof jacket, and if cold either a fleece, or a fleece and jacket.

Basically a base layer, mid layer and outer layer and mix and match.

Some mid layers add a long sleeves and a degree of wind/water proofness - so a lot out there to tailor to your needs.
  • allthegearnoidea
    allthegearnoidea Posts: 4,077
    i have the madison shorts with the detatchable inner liner, very good and at only £30 great vfm!
    also use the gill itec2 base layer and altura jersey which are both great! other than that i have a gillet out of my old sailing coat and a pac-a-mac if its wet!

there are some good deals on crc and wiggle etc for base layers etc!

the forst ride i did with the group i had my trackies, old wetsuit legs to keep me warm, tshirt and windproof jumper,
    Serious case of odd one out haha! made such a difference using the proper gear too!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I'd start with shorts with a padded liner and a decent light weight water proof. You'll need the shorts for comfort and the coat for the times the weather turns (also good for warding off windchill). Then move on to wicking base layers etc.

Also worth considering (if you haven't already got them are some gloves and dedicated riding shoes, type will depend on whether you're using flat or clipless pedals).

Decathalon might be a good start point for bits (if you have one locally) their stuff isn't super technical but does the job and is pretty cheap. That said you do get what you pay for, after spending over £ 4k on bikes in the last year wibble I've only just figured this out :oops: (i'm a bloke, I don't do clothes, only spend money on hard, shiny things :lol: ).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result