BB removal problems.

jonferimonic
jonferimonic Posts: 8
edited May 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Im trying to remove my BB and its proving a real hassle.

I bought a Shimano tool from my local bike shop and after fighting with my cranks to get them off discovered the tool didnt reach the BB splines. Excuse my poor technical terminology but is the axl which runs through the whole BB and spins supposed to come off first? This is whats stopping the tool reaching the splines. The tool is too small in diameter i think to fit over the axl on its way to the splines. I just assumed the whole thing was one unit which is threaded into the frame on both sides?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    No, the tool should be able to be fitted with the axle still in place. You are correct when you say that the whole BB should come out as a single unit.

Can you provide the tool part number and details of the BB (square taper or splined and axle length).
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what is the bb?

if ISIS splined then you need the ISIS tool as the shimano one will not fit.

if a Euro BMX type then normally the axle will need removing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for your reply.

I can get those details tonight when im home and post tomorrow. Ill need to measure the axl and check the tool packaging for a part number. As for the BB, I assume its splined as the tool looks like it will fit on if it could reach.
  • nicklouse
    what spline ? there are many different types of splined axle....

Pictures are good.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse wrote:
    what spline ? there are many different types of splined axle....

Pictures are good.

Ok, i didnt realise there were different types of splines. Ill see if i can take a decent close up photo tonight. Would it help knowing what cranks fit onto it? Im running RaceFace XC Ride cranks. I just assumed they would only fit onto ISIS splined BBs.
  • nicklouse
    they are ISIS so yes the shimano tool will not work.
  • Ok, getting somewhere. So i need to get a tool which is ISIS compatible.

I've had a look on Chainreaction and the ParkTools, RaceFace (and Shimano) all have mixed reviews. I think a lot of the bad reviews are angled from the inability for these tools to lock onto the BB while removing it, which can cause chipped teeth and ultimately damaged BBs.

Can you recommend anything from experience?
  • nicklouse
    any they all work fine.

sounds like user error to me.
  • Ok thanks for your help i appreciate it.
  • Splasher
    I have a Park one and it fits ISIS, Shimano square taper and Shimano Octalink BBs.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • nicklouse
    Splasher wrote:
    I have a Park one and it fits ISIS, Shimano square taper and Shimano Octalink BBs.

my shimano one has been in the lathe so it fits all :wink:
  • The Park tool has been slated in reviews so I ordered the RaceFace one. Ill report back once it arrives and i have attempted to use it.
  • Splasher
    The Park tool has been slated in reviews

:lol: