Cli-machx

P-Jay
P-Jay Posts: 1,478
edited June 2008 in MTB rides
Found this little gem of a trail during the bank holiday. Called Cli-machx. We were in Snowdonia to spend a few days at Coed-y-Brenin. To be quite honest Coed wasn't great IMHO, a good challenge - It's very rocky and technical which is a laugh, but few and far places with any sort of fast-flowing single track. Funny thing is I remember it being much faster went we went last year.

Anyway, Cli-Machx is just down the road. Not really advertised or sign posted but it's really very good. Says it's the longest descent in Wales, not sure if that's true. You could probably take a few of the gates / section names out of The Wall or Cwmcarn and they might be longer. But it's a total blast, still rocky (must be a rocky part of the world) but in a good way, doesn't slow you up, just gives you something to hit. Lots of jumps and berms. Not to mention quiet a few FR tracks with plenty of woodwork. Because it zigzags some open fire road trails you can shuttle the final descent.

Comments

• Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I think they say it's the longest "uninterrupted" trail centre descent in Wales.

It's a blinding descent isn't it - I was putting my new Yeti through it's paces on the berms there last Friday afternoon.

I'm not sure I'd say it's better than CyB - just a bit more natural and nice and quiet.
  • dan78
    dan78 Posts: 9
    A great ride and a brilliant descent. Where are the freeride areas? are they on the main trail or elsewhere?
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    dan78 wrote:
    A great ride and a brilliant descent. Where are the freeride areas? are they on the main trail or elsewhere?

To be honest I'm not too sure. On the final descent there's a big shore style wooded 180 turn into the main trail. Couple of mates of mine dropped into via there. I think they rode up the fire road until they got to a bit where there was some logging going on the trial started just before the "no access" sign. We had a look up the trail from the merge point and you could see lots of woodwork above.

http://www.dyfimountainbiking.org.uk/climachx.html

There's a map on the above link that shows the full XC trail. but just says there's plenty of "informal freeride" which isn't waymarked so take a map (where you get them I don't know because it isn't shown on the map on the page) or a local guide. It's probably worth a days exploration.
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    Is everything ridable? I like to keep both wheels firmly on the ground!

"The Eye Of The Needle" doesn't sound very "XC" to me :shock:
  • dan78
    dan78 Posts: 9
    The 'eye of the needle' sounds a lot worse than it is.