Stiff links

RobDickinson
RobDickinson Posts: 31
edited May 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Are these common?

Had my bike about a month, after a couple of weeks got a stiff link made the trany a bit crunchy so sorted that out by bodging (link wouldnt flex backwards). Now couple of weeks later have 2 more.

Are they that common, am I unlucky, do I need a chain tool to fix them properly, would a different chain help?

Chain is KMC Z9000 (whatever that is..) , crankset Truvativ Blaze, casset is SRAM PG950

Cheers!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a chain tool is the best way but you dont normally get stiff links just like that they tend to be there from the manufacturing process it sounds like you need to look at you lubing skills.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • trany is cleaned (tho not after every ride), and lubed

reviews of the chain sugest its dodgy:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Chain/product_88013.shtml
  • nicklouse
    then fit a sram chain.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • hmm, but then I find people recomending it elsewhere and also that KMC actualy make Srams chains anyhow....

Will get a chain tool to help with it (will need one anyhow), it may be maintanance but I didnt think I was doing much wrong realy. Bike was cleaned, chain sorted and lubed and 2 more links (could habe been 1 of the same) gave issue on next ride.
  • nicklouse
    sachs make sram chains well (sram bought Sachs). KMC make shimano chains
  • Going to check over my chainrings etc for any signs of bent teeth n such, clean/lube/clean the chain and sort out the links and see how I progress.

Thnaks for the help - bikes due a 1st freebie shop service next month so will have a chat to them.
  • Wierd.

Went to check it out last night before todays run and it was fine, couldnt find a problem with it (even though I'm sure there was when I parked it up).

Behaved itself perfectly today too. Cool.

Just have to threaten it with the bin every week..:D