Want to buy a bike for hubby but need help please

Kerry T
Kerry T Posts: 14
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
Hello all,

Its my hubby's birthday next month and I want to get him a new mountain bike he is a complete newbie to mountain bikes and is using my 15 + year old mountain bike that was about £120 from Halfords so you can see why he might aprecieate a new bike :D

I have to say that since he has taken up biking he is a changed man, he has gone from being a grumpy 18st 38yo (hope he does not read this :D ) to a 15st very happy man again and the weight is still falling of him , the change in him has been amazing and all in a few months so I would really like to suprise him and get him a decent bike

I have spoken to a few of the guys in my local bike shops but have just left each of them even more confused then when I went in :(

I have a max budget of £1000 at a real push although around the £900 would be better , and think I need to get him a hardtail bike , so my question is what do I get him ? the only clue to what bike is a bike he has showed me ages ago in a magazine he read ......

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360032357&N=Focus%20Killer%20Bee%20Disc%202008

so is there anybody here who could have a look at the spec of the Focus bike and tell me what they think ? or maybe suggest a better bike for the money ?

Kerry

ps I showed the spec of the Focus bike to a friend at work who does a little bit of biking and he said that the 07 model of the bike has a better spec ??? that does not seem right to me that they would downgrade the spec of the new 08 model
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360026030

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the Killer bee is a good buy which ever year you get. but the 2007 was a LTD which in focus language means a step up in kit.

still the 2008 is a good spec and there is not much out there to beat it at the price.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    The only major difference I can see is the fork, the '07 bike comes with a slightly better fork, but saying that the '08 bike has a very good fork anyway!

The brakes on the '07 are different too, but they're of similar quality, personally I prefer the '07, it looks nicer (I don't like the lime green!)

But saying that I've just noticed that the '07 one is no longer available on the wiggle website!

Merlin also do some great bikes too, the Malt 4 is well within budget : http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=39
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Kerry T
    Thanks for the reples Nick & Andy

Have to say I did not notice that the 07 bike was no longer available :oops:

The only problem I have with the Focus bike is that you can only get it online :( I don't know if I would be happier getting a bike from a proper bike shop just in case there are any problems with the bike

Just to throw a spanner in the spokes are there any full sus bikes in that price range that are any good ? I have only ruled out the full sus bikes as I have been told I need to spend more money then my budget allows to get a decent full sus bike and that by getting a hardtail my money would buy a much better spec of bike then a full sus bike

Kerry
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    You can get a full suss for that budget, but the spec level will not be as good as a hardtail for the same money & it will be a little heavier too.

Hardtail would (in my opinion) be the better buy.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ok, dont bother with a fully at that price.

Re Focus as a brand, in the shop i help out in they are the biggest seller (I am Not UK based) and the quality and build and preparation are very good. I believe that wiggle do further set ups as well. So i am 100% happy recommending the Brand, But the service from wiggle i can not comment on. generally they are great but... Also they have a 1 week if you are not happy return it etc... so check when you want it delivered just incase it needs to go back.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    My advice would be hardtail only, don't get a full sus just yet. you could spend more like £700 on a hardtail and get a great bike that could handle anything in the UK. My friend has just been riding some of the hardest trails in scotland on a £500 bike thats held up really well, infact his was the only bike that didn't go wrong this weekend :s . Might be best getting from a shop nearer by so that if the fit isn't great you could take it back and choose something else? also local shops often throw in a free service a little while in which could be very useful if its his first decent bike?

also it makes me feel all nice and warm inside you're getting him a decent bike. sounds like biking has really helped him which is fantastic. good stuff
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    For a hardtail at ~£1000 all in I'd go for a Marin Rocky Ridge. Great spec for the price.
  • Kerry T
    Thanks for all your comments guys it's really helping a lot

So I see a few of you have recommended the Marin bikes so is the Marin rocky ridge a better bike then the focus would you think ?

http://www.marin.co.uk/2008/bikedetail.php?ModNo=3873

and can you get Marin bikes from shops ?

Kerry
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    It's not necessarily better, just different. Marin are available from shops. The Rocky Ridge is part of Marin's Aggressive Cross Country line, and is built for harder riding that the Focus. It will be happier to get off the ground, descend better, but it will be a little heavier. The Focus will ascend better, and have a more stretched out, racier position.
    What sort of riding does your husband do? Out and out Cross-Country riding, or a little bit more, what some call "trail" riding? Or is there a possibility he will get into the more aggressive riding at a later date?
    One final question - what brands of bikes are available from you local shops?
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • jeffers696
    jeffers696 Posts: 328
    BlackSpur wrote:
    What sort of riding does your husband do? Out and out Cross-Country riding, or a little bit more, what some call "trail" riding? Or is there a possibility he will get into the more aggressive riding at a later date?

dont worry any bike you buy at this price range will be a sweet bike. but it all decides what kind of riding he dose :)
    Specailized Enduro 08 - Beast
    OnOne 456
  • dan1983
    dan1983 Posts: 314
    I bought a Focus last year (a big part of this choice was due to the advice from nicklouse) and I love it. Had no problems with the bike, and the service from Wiggle was top notch. The bike arrived within a few days, far quicker than I'd imagined.

So you should have no concerns about using Wiggle to buy the bike (in my opinion and experiences anyway).

Also, the 0% finance offer they provide was fantastic too.
  • Kerry T
    BlackSpur wrote:
    It's not necessarily better, just different. Marin are available from shops. The Rocky Ridge is part of Marin's Aggressive Cross Country line, and is built for harder riding that the Focus. It will be happier to get off the ground, descend better, but it will be a little heavier. The Focus will ascend better, and have a more stretched out, racier position.
    What sort of riding does your husband do? Out and out Cross-Country riding, or a little bit more, what some call "trail" riding? Or is there a possibility he will get into the more aggressive riding at a later date
    One final question - what brands of bikes are available from you local shops?

I am local to this shop .... http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/fort-dunlop/d4w.asp

and was told by one of the sales guys there that the rockhopper 08 disc bike would suit him fine http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/generic/rockhopper.asp and that would aslo save me some money :D

Kerry[/list]
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    They're right, the RH disc is a great bike! You can always buy a RH Comp or RH Pro if you think he's worth it.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Kerry T
    Thanks for all the help I do really apreciate it

ok I will try not to waste anymore of your time but have just had a look at the RH comp and the RH pro bikes like you said and wondered how they compared to the focus killer bee bike

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86113

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86114

and just to add one more to the mix how does this rate ... http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86108

Kerry
  • jeffers696
    i would say buy from the concept store i got my rockhopper from there and the service is top notch and specalized do such good bikes you wont be disapointed. any problems you get they will do there best to fix them asap (well they did for me anyway) and they have a massive warehouse of bikes they can get within a couple of days!

every body sould buy from shops to try keep them running, oh by the way you can haggel with them, i got a £80 worth of stuff free, a helmet and some other stuff. cant say enough good things about them really!
    OnOne 456
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    FSR's not bad value for money but lowest spec, pro's obviously best spec of the three but my opinion would be to buy the rockhopper comp, £150 extra for Reba over Recon doesn't add up to me, especially as it'll be his first true mtb.

And I'd go to the concept store over Evans, better product knowledge and potentially servicing, although that is of course an unsubstantiated generalisation!
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Get down the concept store and get the Rockhopper Disc or Disc Comp

You won't do much better for the money
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I know you want to suprise him, but you'd be better off taking him along to a good local shop and sitting on a few and make sure you get one that suits him.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    a few more heh,

Merlin Malt 4 + 08 XT groupset £900
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=39

Merlin Rock Lobsters £900
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=categ ... egoryId=38

Focus Superbud £1100 (seems to have gone up £100 hmm)
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... Bud%202008

out of the 3 you just posted i'd have the Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 2008, looks a good hardtail to me :)
  • LordBanks
    LordBanks Posts: 358
    Will you be my wife???
  • Kerry T
    LordBanks wrote:
    Will you be my wife???

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Kerry T
    supersonic wrote:
    I know you want to suprise him, but you'd be better off taking him along to a good local shop and sitting on a few and make sure you get one that suits him.

Yeah supersonic I did think of that suppose I should do really I suppose its like buying a pair of shoes (sorry but I am a girl ) :D you have to try a few pairs on until you find a pair that fits :D

Kerry
  • LordBanks
    I know Edinburgh bike do gift vouchers, i got one from work, dunno if they'll do ones for a grand like, but have a word with your local bike shop. Best of both worlds.
  • Kerry T
    I would just like to say a BIG thanks to everyone here who gave me some great advice and help :D

I am going to take him to the concept store and get him one of the rockhopper bikes comp spec I think

he is going to think he is just taking me on another one of my shopping trips to the fort retail park :D

Thanks again for all your help guys

Kerry
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Good plan

Then go to Dwell and treat yourself :lol:
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • jeffers696
    i wish i had a girl like you. hope he loves you loads as when the new bike comes along, well lets just say you will be taking the back seat for a while. :)
    OnOne 456
  • Kerry T
    jeffers696 wrote:
    i wish i had a girl like you. hope he loves you loads as when the new bike comes along, well lets just say you will be taking the back seat for a while. :)

ooh that's a thought think I will get him some socks instead you cannot go wrong with socks :D
  • Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    Before you take the plunge have a look at this

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/ProductsLis ... 3cac431289

They have just opened a branch in snow and rock in B'ham !!
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    Rockhopper and backup of a local dealer = all good.
  • LordBanks
    Kerry, when you get him the bike, get him to come on here and tell us all about his boss birthday prezzie!!! :lol: