tyax elite cable disc brakes (2007)

pdrolo
pdrolo Posts: 127
edited May 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Having read the forums - I have been able to adjust the disc brakes on my tyax elite - the back brake now locks when pressure is applied - no problems there.

However the front one - I just can't get much stopping from it. I have adjusted the cable - so the brake goes on pretty hard without much pressure from the brake lever - and then adjusted the other side - so wheel can't move - then slackened it off - so the wheel spins freely - but then even when I apply the brakes coming down my front drive (not a major slope) - the front brake bites - but the wheel still goes round ? - I am expecting to much ? - does the front brake work harder than the back ?.

I was wondering if I should slacken the cable back off - and apply more tension from the other side ?
Roadie with an MTB

www.cyclestuff.org.uk

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Front brakes are harder to lock generally - reason being that when you brake your weight is pitched forward. That menas the rear is unweighted (and locks up easier), the front takes more weight, so is harder to lock. This is why many bikes come with larger front rotors.

Could be that the pads have got oil on them.
  • pdrolo
    Thanks you for the response.

But when testing I can still push the bike with the front brake on. Evens my lads £70 MTB has more powerful brakes than this !

Re the oil - how can I clean the rotors & pads ?
    Roadie with an MTB

www.cyclestuff.org.uk
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not easily. Rotor is easy, use IPA or meths (with no additives), the pads have usually had it if contaminated.

New pads anyway may be a solution to more power, and possibly think about getting a larger rotor and adaptor.

Fort now try cleaning the rotor, and lightly sanding the pads to rouyghen up the service. Bed them in and see how you get on.
  • pdrolo
    How much would a new set of pads be ? - are there different types & brands to go for or avoid ?

Had the bike just under a year - wots the average life of a set of pads ? - used daily for commutting & off road at weekends
    Roadie with an MTB

www.cyclestuff.org.uk
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Superstar pads are said to be very good for the money.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs