Collar bone stories

2»

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Dan - glad you are feeling a bit brighter - I know how crap it is to be missing the best weather etc laid up unable to ride :x
    Daniel B wrote:
    Have another two weeks before I have to go back to work
    FWIW I had to go back to work the week after my break - work in a very small family company and another staff member was on hols at the time - since I'm the only other person who knows how to work the payroll software etc I had to go in - I was proper grumpy though :twisted:
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Daniel B wrote:
    ...I'm very conscious to do as little with my left arm as possible, at least until I see the consultant.
    Bang goes the sex life :P
  • I-S
    I-S Posts: 13
    Dan,
    My 6 week appointment was actualy at 5 weeks to avoid a Bank Holiday. The consultant allowed me to cycle on the road but not off. It took a couple of rides to feel comfortable, as you need to pull the bars quite often. It's now 2 months since my break, and cycling on the road is no problem. Physio is helping as the shoulder lost movement after the sling.

You need to ask if you can ride on the road and then make your own mind up... Watch out for pot holes - they're very painful.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Nuggs wrote:
    Bang goes the sex life :P

Nuggs, you'r married, aren't you !
  • AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    Broke my left one in a road race, the day before I started a new job. Not a great start to a career was it? :oops:

Then to make matters even worse, 8 weeks later a dog ran out in front of me on a training bash resulting in me going over the handlebars and I broke the other side!

You should have seen the look on my managers face when I rolled up to work with my right arm in a sling for the second time in as many months.

Needless to say, I was made redundant a number of weeks later.....cannot think why? :(
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    Bronzie wrote:
    Bad luck fella.

Did mine at the Dragon Ride last June when the guy in front fell off going down a sunken manhole cover and I went straight over him. Did my best Superman for 0.42 secs and then landed heavily on my left shoulder. Knew what I'd done straight away as when I tried to push myself up off the floor, my left shoulder seemed to be made of jelly.

This pic was taken a few days later:
    2440146269_b6bba5d013.jpg

It was red and yellow and blue and black and...........................bruising took 8-12 weeks to come out fully. Got a stooopid triangular bandage sling at A+E that was rubbish. Get one of the foam/tubigrip ones asap if not already.

It seemed to "knit" initially after a week or so (certainly stopped the grinding bone on bone bit). I went swimming (after a fashion) after 2 weeks or so (not recommended by my consultant btw but I'd already started by the time I saw him) and this seemed to help get the movement back in the shoulder quite well.

Had 9 weeks off the bike in the end (2 of those at the end due to family hols), so 6-8 weeks is about right, but I'd suggest you get on the turbo trainer and just pedal lightly as soon as you feel able just to keep the legs moving.

Pretty much back to normal for me now although wearing seatbelts can be uncomfortable on the rather prominent lump I'm left with.

Good luck with the healing anyway.

I broke mine playing football, Dec 21st 1985, it is the exact pair for yours. Between us we would have two good shoulders. For the original poster it takes a while to drive again, it bloody hurts.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    hodsgod wrote:
    it is the exact pair for yours
    Swap you my twisted leftie for your straight one so you are nicely symmetrical again?