whats the best full sus for about 1500 quid

anneenmarg
anneenmarg Posts: 28
edited May 2008 in XC and Enduro
i have been riding a fairly basic kona hard tail for the past year and it is not holding up well to the abuse. i was thinking of getting a new bike this summer and am unsure what to get i like the idea of a full sus but still want to be able to climb like a hard tail. most of my cycling is xc , fireroads etc. what would the best choices be?

Comments

• stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Giant Anthem, Giant Anthem..i know im a bit biased but what the hell, mine was my first full sus and its the dogs danglies. Sooper quick. If i get a new bike/frame im getting another one...nuff said
  • mudslinger
    mudslinger Posts: 237
    Another vote for a Giant but this time a Trance.

I've just changed from a Kona HT go a Giant Trance 2 & am really pleased with it. One of my criteria was wanting something that climbed really well as well as being able to take a bit of the rough stuff. In my view it does it all really well.

There is loads of choice in this price range so get down to your LBS & get trying some out!
    Winter commuter: Planet X London Road
    Winter road bike/commuter: Specialized Langster
    Best road bike: Planet X RTD90
    MTBs: Giant XTC 650B / On-One C456 singlespeed
    TT bike: Planet X Stealth
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I with mat, ride an 07 version of the stumpy fsr comp, its bloody wicked!
  • icedmind
    icedmind Posts: 206
    like i wouldnt get a specialized without a specialized afr rear shox at that price
    Ginant anthem and Spesh epic comp are great choice for xc even go down single track
    they will clamp as good as hardtail and decent even quicker as these 2 bikes are well designed- they both work like terrologic or even better
    08 Swork Stumpy FSR with 3 brains
    "2Brains. A Singletrack Mind ", from specialized <<<suppose if the rider doesnt have one
  • Xiphon
    Xiphon Posts: 47
    Spesh Pitch Pro - £1400.

Had mine about 2 months now - can't fault it one bit.

Awesome on the DH, yet great on the up (with Pro-Pedal and Lock-Out)
  • I like the look of the Pitch but if I had the money (I don't) I'd probably go for the Giant Anthem.
    My Build is almost complete - I just need some wheels and pedals!
  • Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    Why not start the other way round

ask the question - Which Full Suss is not worth £1500?

Eliminate the bikes identified from your selection - then and then just choose the one you like the look of best - go try it - and buy it if it feels 'right'

Makes the whole job alot easier this way round - otherwise you'll just get confussalled cos everyone seems to like their own bike and I bet they haven't tried all the bikes out there.

hope this helps !!!!

oh and if you narrow it down to just 2 bikes - just flip a coin - that will tell you which one you want - look at it as a 'blink' moment.
  • endurojcb
    endurojcb Posts: 170
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.

I'd agree. They're very good. But.........if you want to go up the hills as fast as the Stumpy, but go down them like a downhiller then you want the Specialized Enduro SL FSR Comp:

2007 model: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkMode ... spid=22000

2008 model: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=33445

The only real difference between the two is the colour of the frame and a few of the components as far as I know (which means they must have got it spot on to start with in my book), but you should be able to pick the 2007 model up for cheaper than the £1700 I paid for mine last May now!

You get 150mm of travel front and rear and can drop the front fork by 35mm to climb any hills without having to stop and get off your bike!

I've had mine in the Alps in France and Snowdonia and it's dealt with those places perfectly!!!
    2007 Merlin Malt 4
  • thanks. will have to try a few out. i had thought about the anthem 2 alright, it ticks all the boxes. will have to look at the specialized too
  • i have just been to the dalby bike demo day and come away with a few opinions that i was not expecting.to cut it short,try and get to a demo day like this and test as many as you can.this is the only way.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Test out a GT Idrive - these climb and pedal superbly.
  • neil_uk
    neil_uk Posts: 289
    My mate is in exactly the same position - shopping with a budget of £1500.

We've narrowed it down to -

Marin East Peak 2007 £1,145.00
    Giant Anthem 2 2008 £1,400.00
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 2007 £1,199.00
    Specialized Pitch FSR Pro 2008 £1,399.99
    Scott Genius MC - 40 2008 £1379.99
    Giant Trance 2 2008 £1,350.00

So far he's test rode both giants, the marin and the scott. He thinks the scott and the anthem are the best so far - personally I think the scott top tube is far too short! hence the importance of a test ride! how the bike fits you and how it rides is much more important than spec.
  • kingster
    kingster Posts: 2
    Already posted this on another thread, but here's my 2p worth...

I recently opted to get a new bike and narrowed it down to Trek Fuel EX8 and the StumpJumper Comp. Managed to get both out on loan/hire for a whole weekend and gave them both a good try out.

The Trek trounced the Stumpy by far - even though the Stumpy that they gave me was the £500 dearer Expert model with the Brain malarky. No way was it worth £5 more let alone £500 - although it did climb well. I was really surprised as I was expecting the Stumpy to be the better bike, especially as is was way dearer.

The Trek just felt "fast" and encouraged you to really enjoy yourself, especially on the fast flowing trails, whereas the Stumpjumper was just a bit dull and uninspiring, although very capable. The Trek climbs very well too, with propedal and fork lockout if you want it, especially good on technical climbs where traction is important.

So, I bought the Trek - but had a hard time getting a 17.5" as they are selling out. I have now put about 100 trail miles on it including Glentress and Innerliethen and can confirm that this bike is brilliant - totally and utterly 100% happy with my purchase.

Bottom line - if you can find one, get a test ride and you will not be disappointed.

Kingster
  • neil_uk
    neil_uk Posts: 289
    I agree about the Trek, over the stumpy - I test rode an ex9 and a stumpy expert. The Trek was simply more fun in everyway! Even though I had my heart set on the stumpy.

I'm looking forward to giving mine a good belt round Dalby in the next couple of weeks.

Sorry if that's a little off topic, but it emphasises the importance of test riding. just use the mag reviews and the specs as a rough guide - then ride them!

Here's an ex7 for £1400 http://www.hardie-bikes.com/products.php?plid=m1b5s1p1415
  • endurojcb
    endurojcb Posts: 170
    The Specialized Pitch FSR is basically a budget Enduro FSR by the way.

You could also consider a Cube Fritzz, but they're a little on the expensive side for your budget. http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... 9427?img=1

There's always the Trek Remedy too! http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... 2569?img=2

I'll be considering both these bikes for my next perchase!
    2007 Merlin Malt 4
  • SuperCove
    SuperCove Posts: 127
    I think the Cube would be a great purchase..... would consider one if I move away from hardtails
    Cove Handjob XC
    Giant OCR
  • anneenmarg
    i tried a specialized epic expert. and a lapierre x control the lapierre was the better bike smoother on the flat with less bob. they climbed fairly equal but the lapierre had a smoother ride uphill and downhill and beter gear for the money. after talking to the guys in my lbs i went for the lapierre zesty 514. (more travel than the x control 410 )
  • ValeTudoGuy
    ValeTudoGuy Posts: 87
    I just recently got a Commencal Meta 5.5.3 and I totally love it.
    Climbs like a charm and goes down better than a pint of Magners on a hot day.

Built like a battleship and not too heavy. I reckon you could do a rather light build if you were that way inclined. When I was looking around I tested it alongside Trek Fuel EX7, Giant Trance 1, Gary Fisher HiFi Plus and Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp some of which were quite a bit more expensive and It just suited me better so that’s why I went for it.

I have had bad experiences with Specialized so I'm a little bit biased against them although I admit that the Stumpjumper did feel really nice. The Giant didn’t suit me at all so that went out of the window strait away. I liked the Garry Fisher probably on par with the Specialized. And the Trek was a bit meh at that price point although an increase in price looks to have some excellent offerings from Trek IMO.

Best bet is to just test a load of bikes and see what you think and get the one that is best suited to you.

Marc
  • brandfreak
    brandfreak Posts: 137
    If you've not bought yet, I was in the same confusing place. Test rode Stumpy - thought my 2007 FSR xc was better, test rode Orange 5 and Marin Mt Vision both brilliant. But bought Trek Fuel EX8 coz it does exactly what I want it to, is a fantastic bike straight from the box and will lure you into having toooo much FUN.

Enjoy
  • anneenmarg
    the bike is on order and should be in next week. i decided to get the zesty over the x control because of the extra 40mm travel. will let you know how it goes when i get it.
  • anneenmarg
    well i took the bike (zesty 514)out for its first spin up my local trails and its sweet. climbs very well and descends even better. suspension will need a bit of playing with. but there was no bob when climbing or on the flat and roads.