Anyone own a Nokia N95 8GB?

GT Destroyer
GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
edited May 2008 in The Crudcatcher
I just have some queries about the maps. The nuggets on the 191 vodafone line don't have a clue!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Got a N95 1 gb. Got a mind of its own, and the GPS doesnt work.
  • pyro_maniac
    pyro_maniac Posts: 232
    i have a N95 8gb, the maps are ok but the satnav bit is pants, what you need to know mate?
  • supersonic
    Mine is forever searching for satellites. One could crash land in the garden, it wouldn't find it!
  • pyro_maniac
    pyro_maniac Posts: 232
    lol, very true, it does take a while to find one
  • supersonic
    Lol, even when it does, it wont triangulate me! Well, it did once, and said I was 177m below sea level!
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    i have a N95 8gb, the maps are ok but the satnav bit is pants, what you need to know mate?

It was just if I can look at the maps without being charged, you know on like a static page. I think I have managed to figure it out.

I downloaded some of the maps from PC suite onto the phone. So they work when I hover over them, its quite good actually as I downloaded Aquitaine in southern France, and when I go to where Paris would be it doesn't show me anything but if I move dead quickly to the bit I downloaded it shows me the places etc... I didn't have any faith it would work that well!

The main question was "can I look at a static map without being charged for it" and I think you can,(but I'm still not 100% sure) although when I do, if I go to the "log" option on the main menu it does come up as packet data, but it says I have sent and reveived nothing, in the bytes bit!
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    supersonic wrote:
    Mine is forever searching for satellites. One could crash land in the garden, it wouldn't find it!

I had the same problem when I first got mine. I flashed it to the latest firmware, and the GPS has worked reasonably well ever since. It now uses A-GPS