slime inner tube

johpat
johpat Posts: 39
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
hi

what's the thoughts on slime filled inner tubes. Ths spotty oik in Halfords said they're a must though whilst the technician at my local independent store said they're a waste of time and don't really stop punctures.

thanks in advance

Comments

• jeffers696
    jeffers696 Posts: 328
    they can work, but they dont stop pinch punctures, so keep them at a relativly hight presure above 40psi i find workes well
    Specailized Enduro 08 - Beast
    OnOne 456
  • owen908
    owen908 Posts: 170
    Well ive never used the slime inner tubes but i have used the slime strip and they are a waste of time. They were consistently causing tears in the inner tube becuase they are very prone to move about inside the tyre. Ive also heard that the slime from the inner tube goes everywhere if you get a big puncture .
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    Yeah the slime does go all over the show in your tyre..they're okay, theres a weight penalty obviously and I'd probably recommend them more for commuting.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I juat made the jump from slime to standard tubes.

My rear one lasted about 15 months before it took 1 thorn too many and gave up.

They do stop punctures very well from throns, just keep spinning and they self seal.

If you want no fuss riding then they are a must.

Big downside is they are heavy and expencive. They do a lightweight version which i have not tried and at £12 a tube i probably wont either.

My current tubes are about half the weight of the old slimes.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Its just the weight that has put me off,my mates that use them swear by them though.
  • SuperCove
    SuperCove Posts: 127
    Go tubeless....
    Cove Handjob XC
    Giant OCR
  • LordBanks
    LordBanks Posts: 358
    When i got me bike, i was forever getting punctures, i think i got about 4 in the first week, and that was just riding to work, and it was them tiny little thorns, smaller thatn a pin. So i got some slime tubes and i never got one for ages. However, the back tire did explode couple weeks back, but that was a big shard of glass, big enough to split me tire by about an inch. I haven't really noticed the weight difference to be honest.
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    nah cant say us mere mortals really notice the weight. i got the cheap stuff from wilko, in tesco value tubes that would make a weight weenie cry, and i never puncture (and the tubes are about 2 years old... god i feel like a pikey)
    i ride a hardtail
  • timeless1
    timeless1 Posts: 28
    Ended up buying a bottle of slime 4 weeks after buying my bike after my 1st puncture with a thorn hardly notice the weight difference to be honest
  • Deadman
    Deadman Posts: 10
    I'm doing a race next weekend & am wondering whether to take spare inner tubes or abottle of slime. The race is the newnham90 & is mostly off road. any advice?
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    god, lots of tubes. always tubes!!! slime is handy, but you always need tbes!!!

did i get my point across?? :lol:
    i ride a hardtail
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Fit tyre liners as they will stop most punctures. My hardtail clocked over 5000 miles mostly off road last year and only had the one puncture.
  • johpat
    johpat Posts: 39
    quite spooky, i tried one on the rear, got a puncture going over broken glass, didn't see it or would have taken evasive action. got me home 5 miles away. strange that the tyre was flat after I stopped cycling.

the weight is negligible when you're pushing the wrong side of 13st anyway

looks like I will use slime tubes from now on
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Not strange - it's the gyroscopic (spinning) effect that pushes the slime against the outside of the tube, blocking the hole. Once you stop, the slime flows down to the bottom of the wheel and if that's not where the hole is at that time, it will deflate. I believe they are supposed to seal the hole but, as in your case, that doesn't always happen.

A little OT: don't bother with them in road bikes. Whether it's the higher pressure or the smaller volume, i've yet to have one work.
  • The only real way to stop punctures is to go tubeless. It really is worth it.

Slime can be a bit iffy, you still get pinch flats and sometimes they simpily do not seal.

For all of the info you would ever want to know go to this magical place (all you would ever want to know is on the right). Or to be shocked and amazed go here
    _ _ _ _
    Green people might argue that cyclists deserve a tax break because they aren't polluting the environment, but cyclists burn energy similarly to cars: their increased demand for food isn't great for the environment
  • SuperCove
    SuperCove Posts: 127
    I think i'm converted!!!
    Cove Handjob XC
    Giant OCR
  • lost-time
    lost-time Posts: 549
    I've tried latex tubes, normal tubes, DH tubes, slime tubes and that tape stuff you put inside the tire. I can honestly say that the tape has been the best of all of them. The weight was not noticable and the tape never caused the problems others have mentioned above. A real test for the tape was 10 days in Spain. Great big buggers of thorns out there nearly 2inches long and more like nails. Upon getting home found 15 thorn tips in the rear tire 11 of which had penetrated to the inside.

As for tubless, never tried it and doubt I will after the amount of hassel one guy had on holiday.....