Pain

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited May 2008 in The Crudcatcher
Just in the shed getting the bike out when a set of 6 solid steel boules fell off the shelf - and landed on my shin. What a mess! Never think I have sworn so loud in my life, had to apologise to the neighbours lol

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    OUCH! I have recently whacked both my hips in seperate incidents and ended up with some proper bruises. Has your shin gone purple yet?
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • supersonic
    The box they were in sorta scraped down, taking little chunks as it went! Its sore, I guess it will bruise! They are mangled anyway from pedal whacks, got loads of scars, but this was sods law.

Good news is fitted my new LX hydros to replace the Avid BB5 cable discs. First impressions are good, seem better, with more modulation - need to bed in fully. I have to say they are not as powerful as the Vs on my Zaskar. Yet ;-)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Ouch, Shin scars really tingle for a while too dont they lol

I dont believe the LX ever develope great bite though they have decent modulation, bite doesnt really happen until XT with Shimano brakes.
  • supersonic
    Bloody sore today!

Yeah, the LX don't seem to 'bite', just a slow application of power. TBH I have always preferred the snappy lever return of V brakes, and adjustability. But for 50 quid for the pair of LX, they'll do!
  • Thewaylander
    true, heard good things about juicy 3 of a few guys,

got the juicy 5's here powerful but not as much bite as hayes, but thehayes have 0 control in comparison which sucks
  • BlackSpur
    Have these LX brakes gone on the Ruckus then?
  • supersonic
    The Idrive. Ruckus is in pieces at the minute!
  • BlackSpur
    I would love to take my current bike to pieces and clean/grease/service everything I can before I sell it, but I'm just too scared that I wouldn't be able to put it all back together. Any money gained from the bike being in perfect working order when sold would be lost when I take the bike to my LBS for him to sort out all my mistakes!
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    I wouldn't knock my LX's anyway, put new pads in recently and the bite is pretty good (not compared to my M4's obviously).
  • supersonic
    Well its looking, erm, divoted hehe:

11052008136.jpg
  • ...the hayes have 0 control in comparison which sucks

What did you mean by this?

The Hayes 9s levers don't travel very far so you have to be an expert to get them working exactly as you would want. However this is not too difficult. Control must be learnt, not expected. :twisted:
    _ _ _ _
    Green people might argue that cyclists deserve a tax break because they aren't polluting the environment, but cyclists burn energy similarly to cars: their increased demand for food isn't great for the environment
  • Thewaylander
    I have run with them, and they are prone to grab in some situations.

and because of the short lever movement i particualry found my forearms hurting on prolonged downhills reducing the control again.

Have found my juicy's far easier on my arms, and general riding use
  • supersonic
    Form Hayes website:

4. How do I increase my lever throw?
    Push the caliper pistons back into their bores. Before squeezing the lever, place a .015" shim on each side of the disc (2 business cards will work), between the disc and the brake pads. Squeeze the lever several times, until the brake pads contact the shims, with the shims in place. Remove the shims and squeeze the lever several more times.