Light-weight pannier rack?

tardington
tardington Posts: 1,379
edited May 2008 in Commuting chat
I was just wondering if anyone knew a good light-weight pannier rack?

I've got my new(ish) Tricross Sport, and it's great, and I have a blackburn touring rack (still in the bag :oops: ) - but is there a decent light rack anyone can recommend? The ones I have seen look a bit... flimsy :?

ETA that was a bit vague! I've already got an okay-ish Tortec 25 quid job... But I'd like a nicer one for my commuting: I don't carry anything heavy, mainly clothes in a couple of universal (the wee ones) panniers, but quite recently my 'touring' tortec rack came apart under... not much stress :evil: so I'd like to hear of a proven kind.

Thanks!

Comments

• iga
    iga Posts: 155
    Tubus: http://www.spacycles.co.uk/brands/tubus.php

Should also say strong + light = pricey!
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Why not a Carradice saddlebag?
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Use the blackburn rack!!!
    I doubt you'll notice the weight in the context of a commute and they are solid.
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    Definitely the Tortec Ultralite.

I've tried the Tubus Fly and it's simply not worth the extra money (it's twice the price of the Tortec), plus it's pants at carrying a rackpack.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • infopete
    infopete Posts: 878
    Have a look at the Tubus Airy... that's assuming you can get one.

I've been waiting to buy one for over a year as Tubus had manufacturing problems.

Pete
    Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Second Carradice, but rather than a saddle bag you might want to look at the SQR bags. I use the Slim for commuting, general purpose and for weekend trips. Bomb-proof, waterproof bags and no rack to lug around when it's not on.
  • RC21
    RC21 Posts: 166
    Second Carradice, but rather than a saddle bag you might want to look at the SQR bags. I use the Slim for commuting, general purpose and for weekend trips. Bomb-proof, waterproof bags and no rack to lug around when it's not on.

What's the slim like compared to the tour? I think they hold the same capacity but are a different shape - is this correct?
  • andrewc3142
    Yes. The reason I went for the Slim is that it can take A4, essential for me.
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Sorry to hear about the tubus ones... I like the one on my sister's cannondale!

The tortec looks niiiice, despite my dislike for the brand...

BUT I've never really looked at the old pipe'n'slippers Carradice before - I am liking that Slim thing! Except the swingeing price! I would be as well going for an Arkel!

http://www.arkel-od.com/ Oooh, sooo nice!
  • andrewc3142
    Agreed, the Carrandice bags are fairly pricey. But, in the shed we have a small mountain of various bags accumulated over the years. The Carradice gets used every day, the rest gather dust, so at a cost per actual mile of use ....