survival knives?

ThatGuyOnABike
ThatGuyOnABike Posts: 198
edited May 2008 in Tour & expedition
o.k so i ain't going into the jungle but i really fancy getting one. A gerber, tanto, semi serrated, pocket knife to be precise. do you cycle with a knife (other than cutlery and small ones attached to multi tools) while on tour? what are the pros and cons?
In the valley of high oil prices the cyclist is king!

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I love my Corsican shepherd's knife.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Oh yes - penknife (inc. corkscrew) & eating knife (titanium knife, fork, spoon set.)
    No machete tho' :wink:
  • pyro_maniac
    pyro_maniac Posts: 232
    i carry a gerber multitool with me everywhere i go, always come in handy, especially for work and you never know when you will need a bottle opener on a hot day :wink:
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    I carry a Juyo Bunkasai samurai sword under my robes. You know, just in case

:roll:
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • ampr1150gs
    ampr1150gs Posts: 16
    I carry Laplander 90 bushcraft knife as well as a Leatherman.
  • Lysander
    Lysander Posts: 349
    Can't beat a Swiss Army Champ. Although a little heavy it has every thing you could possibly need.
  • kluged
    kluged Posts: 6
    I have yet to go on my first bike tour (planning one in summer) but so far I am planning to take a surival knife and one of those P38 american army can openers instead of a leatherman/swiss army type combination knife.

I just don't think I could find a use for all of those extra tools. I will of course be taking everything I need for maintaining my bike, but ignoring that what else would you really need when camping apart form a blade and a can opener?
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    kluged wrote:
    I have yet to go on my first bike tour (planning one in summer) but so far I am planning to take a surival knife and one of those P38 american army can openers instead of a leatherman/swiss army type combination knife.

I just don't think I could find a use for all of those extra tools. I will of course be taking everything I need for maintaining my bike, but ignoring that what else would you really need when camping apart form a blade and a can opener?

C O R K S C R E W ? :wink:
  • i'm with kluged (i don't drink so screw corkscrews). a blade and a tin opener is what i'm planning to take.
  • kluged
    kluged Posts: 6
    I hadn't considered a corkscrew either as I am also a (mostly) non-drinker.

If anyone wants a corkscrew on tour I'd suggest getting one of the swiss army knives rather than a leatherman - I don't have a genuine leatherman but I do have several knock-off's lying around and none of them include a corkscrew.
  • daviddd
    daviddd Posts: 637
    I never go anywhere without my Swiss Army Knife - but always carry it in your hold baggage when flying! I've had it taken off me twice but got it back, doh!
    Oct 2007 to Sep 2008 - anticlockwise lap of Australia... http://www.davidddinoz.blogspot.com/
    French Alps Tour 2006: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=r ... =1914&v=5R
    3 month tour of NZ 2015... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/nz2014
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    edited May 2008
    This is what I carry on "Tour".....

sa80_bayonet_3.jpg
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    :wink:

What on earth can that be? Modded I presume?

Which Gerber tool, anyone-thinking of the Resolve

I also like the ones that can take variety of 1/4" bits, any ideas about those?
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • reddraggon could you post a link to an image, you can't make it sound cool and then allow those moderators to remove the image. what is it some kind of stupidly big bowie knife or something.
    oh and ken night have you checked the gerber official website. the gerber suspension seems to be quite good for the price. but i'm more interested in the gerber kiowa or paraframe
  • pyro_maniac
    i have a gerber suspension, very well made and lightweight and you dont have to open the whole thing up to get to the tools/blades, think you can get them for around 35 quid
    they also have very good customer service,i broke a compact 400, emailed them and within a week they sent me replacement parts, instructions how to fit them and a new pouch all free, and from the US
  • redddraggon
    The image is there.......I stress the word "Tour", a different type of tour to what the original question was.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    i have a gerber suspension, very well made and lightweight and you dont have to open the whole thing up to get to the tools/blades, think you can get them for around 35 quid
    they also have very good customer service,i broke a compact 400, emailed them and within a week they sent me replacement parts, instructions how to fit them and a new pouch all free, and from the US

Sounds good-they all say the pliers are spring loaded-I did see a model a few years ago,in which the pliers sprung out, as opposed to being, well, opposed or opened by a spring

Do yours spring out....(as the bishop.....)
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • erm maybe it is something on my side but all i see is an image saying "no image" and if this is meant to be then i don't get it, sorry reddraggon.
  • pyro_maniac
    the spring loaded ones are the recoil, heard a few people have problems with them and the spring failing on them, i have a compact 400 that can be opened one handed by flicking the wrist and the pliers come out, but they are not spring loaded, the suspension i have opens like a butterfly knife (so i have been told, i would not about such things :wink: ) but the tools can be used without opening the pliers
  • i think i know now reddraggon, are you a soldier, "tour" of duty? the image is probably of a KA-BAR, boot knife, bayonet or something
  • redddraggon
    I am but a weekend warrior
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr