Mongoose Tyax Super 2008

Tommy_Gun
Tommy_Gun Posts: 3
edited May 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys and girls, I've just joined this forum and this is my first post (noob alert).

I'm about to buy my first mountain bike, the last bike I rode was probably a BMX when I was 15 – I'm now 33 and wanting to get fitter and have some fun.

After doing a fair bit or research online, I'm almost decided on a Mongoose Tyax Super 2008, it seems a pretty decent entry-level bike for £400, which is about my limit financially at the moment.

Do you guys think this is a good choice for me? I'm 6ft 2 and nearly 16 stone and plan on road/coast riding and some mild off-road in the future.

Any thoughts/experiences on this bike or other recommendations would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Well equipped bike for the money. Try it out for size though, and a test ride if you can. A good local shop should let you do this, and you'll get good back up if you buy from them.

Bikes of a similar verin are the Scott Aspect 45 and GT Avalanche 2.0 - both get quality frames, damped forks and hydraulic disc brakes.
  • Tommy_Gun
    Tommy_Gun Posts: 3
    Thanks Supersonic, I'll have a further look at the other options you mentioned before buying.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the Mongoose?
  • Crispy5449
    Crispy5449 Posts: 73
    I've got the 2007 version. Great starter bike IMO, and has done me fine. The fork is a weak point though - I was never all that impressed with it and it was knackered after 4 or 5 months, but I just picked up a cheap set of RS Tora's and they have been great.

Crispy