Sturmey Archer: Availability?

meagain
meagain Posts: 2,331
edited May 2008 in Road general
Any distributors of the "new" SA stuff in UK? Links seem to be to Netherlands. I'm considering fitting a 3 speed into a 700c trad steel tourer. Failing that I suppose an old one off th'bay.
d.j.
"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Anyone that does suntour should be able to get them. I believe theyve been owned by them since 2000 onwards.
  • meagain
    Thanks - I'll have a search.
    d.j.
  • Try Roman Road Cycles. They should be on the web.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Sunrace, not SR Suntour :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    wrong one sorry. shouldnt have such bastard similar names.
  • bonk man
    bonk man Posts: 1,054
    Go down the local dump..... not joking, you will see barely used Sturmeys attached to hideous shoppers and the like, ask the blokes at the dump to save you a few, they will usually do it for a box of teabags....... or Hobnobs..
    Club rides are for sheep
  • SamWise72
    SamWise72 Posts: 453
    Other good sources, if you're looking for the newer, more than 3 speed things, are:

http://www.freemanscycles.co.uk/
    and
    http://oldbiketrader.co.uk/index.php

(oldbiketrader are also good for the older stuff). For the 3 speeds, there's no earthly reason to buy a new one - they just never break. You might find you like the old 4 speed even more - the FW has a slightly wider range than the AW, and the gear spacing is closer. They're not so common to find down at the tip, however.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • meagain
    Thanks all.

The tip? Not here - will not let you beg, steal or buy ANYTHING! Been warned off in no uncertain terms even for trying to LOOK.

My first ever bike (a Rudge from I guess the early '50s, a hand-me-down from a cousin and my Xmas prezzie in 1960) had a 4 speed alloy SA. That hub was the cause of my riding fixed: it exploded after a couple of years sending me up the A6. The cheapest repair was...a fixed hub built into the wheel! One would sort of bring things nicely back to the start...
    d.j.
  • SamWise72
    Our tip seperates all the bikes out. Any they think are good, they sell. Any of the others, you can have for a fiver. I got a Viscount bike with a AG (the wide range 3 speed, but with a generator too) built, unusually, into alloy rims, for a fiver. Huge bargain.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• bonk man
    bonk man Posts: 1,054
    Our tip trades in tea bags and hobnobs.....
    1 Rotel amp = 1 box of PG :D
    Rusty old 531 road bike Earl Grey and some Jaffa Cakes.. :roll:
    Club rides are for sheep
  • jammieeeee
    jammieeeee Posts: 389
    try any Cyclelife, the raleigh shops, any can get sturmey archer parts.
  • meagain
    Good tip, jammieeeee. There's one just down the road!
    d.j.
  • jammieeeee
    Do you mean the shop on Carlton Road?
  • meagain
    That's the one.
    d.j.
  • jammieeeee
    How convinent, that's where i work, on saturdays anyway.

We can get all the sturmey stuff that Raleigh currently supply.

If I remember correctly the 3 speed hub is about £60.
  • meagain
    Did you sell me a couple of inner tubes yesterday by any chance??
    d.j.
  • jammieeeee
    I can't remeber, but i'm six foot six if u can remember being served by a very tall person....
  • meagain
    Nope - a short chap! Tho' I think there was a taller person there also!
    d.j.
  • jammieeeee
    that would've been me.

As regards to the hub, we don't stock them but can get them in, should take 3 days to get you one. We're open tomorrow, bank holiday monday, 10am til 4pm. and closed tuesday ;)
  • GaryGkn
    GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
    Most tips are useless these days with rules and red tape about buying bikes. A company where I live pay a retainer to have every bike that come into the tip.
  • NorwegianBlue
    NorwegianBlue Posts: 484
    Most workers at tips are happy to have you take something on the understanding that "you didn't get it here, right." Wink. The main reason local authorities don't like people taking things away from the tip is one of public liability, the blokes on site will usually bypass those rules as long as they think there will be no comeback.

Very few have deals with third parties for small things like bikes, it's simply not financially viable. They will usually sell scrap metal at a fixed rate per tonne to a local scrap merchant. The amount they would get per bike would, once offset against the work of seperating the scrap, not be worth their while. Their requirements for recycling a certain percentage of waste is met by selling scrap metal in bulk.
    "Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker
  • meagain
    "local authorities"

Ones here are "franchised" to a national (I think) private waste recycling outfit - and I don't think they will flog anything!
    d.j.
  • NorwegianBlue
    Our local authority has outsourced HWRCs but the guys on site will still turn a blind eye to you taking the occaional thing.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Dave my have mail.
    bagpuss
  • meagain
    Paul, indeed I have! I'll get back to you shortly!
    d.j.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Got a clean Raleigh shopper for a fiver from my local tip a couple of weeks go.
    bagpuss
  • SamWise72
    My tip seperates all bikes, any that they think are really great, the put in the shop, at whatever price they deem fit. The rest are all put together, and you can have any of them for a fiver. They keep 'em about a week, and then crush them. I've had several from there that have been good, and I often wonder what I miss, and whether I could come to an agreement.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• NorwegianBlue
    I used to get stuff from freecycle, but the trouble with that now is all the gits trawling it for ebay stuff. Some people seem to lurk for hours on end and snap up anything that looks like it would sell. Totally against the ethos of freecycle and downright annoying. I can only hope they get loads of none paying bidders.

I haven't got anything off their for ages. Offer to collect five minutes after the item appears on the board and it's already gone!