Another newbie

shisaa
shisaa Posts: 82
edited May 2008 in MTB rides
Hi,

Got into mountain biking for the first time a year or so ago and am loving it, but looking to meet up with some other riders. Based in East London and have been around Epping a few times, but still a bit green and lacking technique. Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• NEILHEAD
    NEILHEAD Posts: 435
    im in medway kent a short drive away and we have some lovely trails. Your very welcome to join us on any sunday.
    Never trust a man with facial hair.

http://neilhead.pinkbike.com/album/my-bike/
  • shisaa
    Thanks very much for the offer. i might take it up some time, but i don't drive so getting there will be a slight problem. Not much call for cars in London. . .
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Getting a bike on a train isn't too much of a problem. Its what i have to do at the moment being without a car too!
  • dodgyknees
    dodgyknees Posts: 148
    There are a couple of MTB groups that ride every weekend up at Epping.

One is aimed at the over 35's but not all the riders meet the age criteria. This group meet every Saturday morning at 10:45 outside Chingford Station for an 11am start. I've been out with this group a couple of times and the over 35 tag certainly doesn't mean these are gentle rides on the bridleways. This group fully explore the singletrack in the forest and the rides can be pretty tough work lasting 3-4 hours normally.

http://www.epping-forest-mbc.co.uk/
    http://groups.google.com/group/mbr-over35

The frst link above has been superceded by the google group which is now the main means of communication amongst the group.

There is also another MTB group known as the Epping Hard Cru. This essentially a group of younger guys who like to ride hard and fast & meet on Sunday mornings. A google search for Epping mountain bike clubs should find their site.
  • xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    I ride out of North London. I go to places like; Epping, Broxbourne, Surrey Hills and I'm hoping to check out Kent and Swinley Forest soon. Not sure I can help with your technique though!
  • shisaa
    Thanks for the replies guys. Did meet with one group but found it tough work. And will definitely have to meet up for a ride xcracer. Maybe next weekend, Epping?
  • xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    I'm 50/50 for next weekend but PM me and maybe we can arrange something.
  • grayt
    grayt Posts: 7
    dodgyknees wrote:
    There are a couple of MTB groups that ride every weekend up at Epping.

[...]

There is also another MTB group known as the Epping Hard Cru. This essentially a group of younger guys who like to ride hard and fast & meet on Sunday mornings. A google search for Epping mountain bike clubs should find their site.

Lol, not that young or that fast most of the time (though a few of us like our racing). Wide range of interests and rides in different places around N/E London - we've been tending to ride less in Epping during the wet winter weather (the official reason is to give the trails a break, the unofficial one is we're a bunch of softies really. :wink: ) Website is eppinghardcru.co.uk.