Aldi Glasses

phil_ss1
phil_ss1 Posts: 194
edited May 2008 in Commuting chat
Hi,

Just been to Aldi late Wednesday night (thinking it was Thursday!).

Picked up some of those £3 sports glasses. 8) The ladies in the shop had just put them out for Thursday :D

Wow!

Glasses in available two different styles, each with 3 lenses (clear, smoked and yellow). Also come with a soft carry case that has separate pockets for each lense, belt loops and a 'dog clip'.

Cleaning cloth too!

They are German TUV approved (and thats a high standard bit like BS).

Thanks for the tip off to whoever posted the Aldi note earlier this week.

Excellent value for the commute into work and trips out.

Phil

Comments

• gkf9
    gkf9 Posts: 176
    Yep going to nip into the local Aldi tom and hopefully grab a pair mi self
    amost other things!
  • Going to pop in on the way home, just hope they haven't sold out by then.

I looked at the spec for the glasses, and thought has to be a typo error, and obviously it wasn't.

I bought the winter socks last October, and they have been great, as have the jackets I bought. Sizes for jackets jerseys can be a bit hit or miss, so try it on before you buy.
    Otherwise good qual stuff.
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • afctumike
    afctumike Posts: 52
    Bought a Gilet (tried it on first) and a pair of shorts (thought I'd better not in the middle of the aisle :lol: ). Good quality stuff.
    My bike's an Orbea Elgeta from Epic Cycles
  • wilfus
    wilfus Posts: 78
    I've been this afternoon and bought a cycling shirt, jacket, glasses and a track pump.

Clothing fits well, glasses are good quality and the pump works really well.

Twenty something quid for the lot.......bargain!!
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    I got a pair of mitts, which I'm really impressed with, and some bib shorts, which I haven't got around to trying on yet.
  • gkf9
    Well i got the very last pair of glasses...couldn't believe my luck!!

Got a jacket only xlarge and 1 large left so got that..fits well

Got a medium sized Gillet only Medium left..abit tight tho so thats going back and bought some gloves fit welll...cant believe how quick the stuff went!! Was there for 2pm.
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    2 pairs glasses & 2 pairs of the £3.99 shorts.

happy, happy, joy, joy :lol:
  • timeless1
    timeless1 Posts: 28
    Got some gloves and the bottle they had sold out of the shorts at my store
  • jcrofts
    jcrofts Posts: 34
    Gaaaaggghhhh!!!!

As I cycled past Aldi this afternoon I was thinking "There's something I'm supposed to do..."

Now I remember! Doh! :oops:

Hopefully they'll have some glasses/gloves left tomorrow :(
  • Gambatte
    jcrofts wrote:
    Gaaaaggghhhh!!!!

As I cycled past Aldi this afternoon I was thinking "There's something I'm supposed to do..."

Don't worry, they're cheap and nasty, fall apart, not worth the money

pinocchio.jpg
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Gambatte wrote:
    jcrofts wrote:
    Gaaaaggghhhh!!!!

pinocchio.jpg
    You couldn’t be more wrong, sometimes they have some item that’s a dog but otherwise all the cycle gear is of the highest quality.

Last years shirts, shorts, jackets and gloves are better than anything I have purchased from the big cycle stores.

The glasses are average but great value , I still have 3 sets from last year and use them every day.
  • Gambatte
    omegas wrote:
    Gambatte wrote:
    jcrofts wrote:
    Gaaaaggghhhh!!!!

pinocchio.jpg
    You couldn’t be more wrong, sometimes they have some item that’s a dog but otherwise all the cycle gear is of the highest quality.

Last years shirts, shorts, jackets and gloves are better than anything I have purchased from the big cycle stores.

The glasses are average but great value , I still have 3 sets from last year and use them every day.

There was a reason for the picture of Pinocchio with the long nose...... :roll:

:lol:
  • Bought 2 pairs of the glasses, amazing for the price. What was strange, was that they were 2 slightly differing models. Anyway, used a pair last evening with the amber lenses in, and they really were great, didn't steam up either, which happens to me a lot, don't know why.
    Also bought some socks, these don;t look that different to the winter socks, just slightly lighter material. Also bought a track pump, which is huge! will be leaving it at my office for any unscheduled inner tube replacements. The only Gillets they had were either too big or too small, shame cos they looked good. I took a look at the Bib-shorts, more out of curiosity than anything else (I have enough pairs), stitching and cut looked very good, the chamois didn't look too fancy.
    May just take another look at the weekend, sometimes the stock gets replenished.

Anyone buy the tool pack? Is there a chain breaker in there?

All in All, a good haul :D:) 8) :lol: :P
  • timeless1
    timeless1 Posts: 28
    Managed to get some shorts and glasses from another store today was going to buy a few pairs but there was barely any left.
  • jcrofts
    jcrofts wrote:
    Gaaaaggghhhh!!!!

Hooray! Got me some pants, some gloves, a nice new jacket and... drum-roll please... three pairs of glasses!

There were no glasses on display and I was just about to take what I had managed to scrounge to the till when I spotted a likely looking assistant. Figuring on finding out when to come back I asked if they were likely to get more in over the weekend. "Wait right there," the man said. Next thing I know he's carting a box of them through from the back and I got my pick of all the colours. Smashing :D
  • Gambatte
    jcrofts wrote:
    Hooray! Got me some pants, some gloves, a nice new jacket and... drum-roll please... three pairs of glasses!

There were no glasses on display and I was just about to take what I had managed to scrounge to the till when I spotted a likely looking assistant. Figuring on finding out when to come back I asked if they were likely to get more in over the weekend. "Wait right there," the man said. Next thing I know he's carting a box of them through from the back and I got my pick of all the colours. Smashing :D

Sounds familliar - did the same last time with the LS jerseys
  • gkf9
    jcrofts wrote:
    jcrofts wrote:
    Gaaaaggghhhh!!!!

what other colours did they do?....only one pair left when i got there in black
  • jcrofts
    gkf9 wrote:
    what other colours did they do?....only one pair left when i got there in black
    I picked up black, blue and silver... left the red ones behind. Think it was just those four.
  • ESSEXMIRAGE
    ESSEXMIRAGE Posts: 31
    I managed to get hold of a pair of the larger glasses in the red, and gilet also red, red n black jacket, a black t shirt and a computer and a bottle too............ gonna look like 'man at Aldi' doh but hell its all chaep and fairly good quality and all fits well, I agree the glasss are the best value and so went back and got a spare set just in case I muller the first set quick

:lol:SPONSORED BY ALDI :lol:
    Still loving my Carrera Vulcan but also loving my commuter converted Raleigh Record Sprint ooo it's so quick and a great commute hack yippeee get to ride it again in the morning . . . . . can't wait ha ha
  • Popped into the local Aldi cycling store yesterday, just to pick up some basics, like bread, milk etc Amazing that a cycling store carries these things really 8) . Last Gillet they had, in blue, the only colour I wanted, and bugger it's marked up as XL. However one of the problems with Aldi clothing is sizing, so I thought, WTH try it on, and voila, fitted like a glove, so Bread, Milk, Gillet all in one trip, cool 8)
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    Still not been in. I dont need anything sadly. The glasses and mits have alsted well from last year! 8)
    FCN 10
  • windbreaker
    windbreaker Posts: 91
    My Gilet lasted two trips before the zip collapsed. I've bought a new zip for the same price as the gilet.. However my sewing machine skills mean replacement is more difficult than i thought. My eyesight :shock: is so poor close up that threading the needle means taking it out and using a magnifying glass. The other kit seems OK.
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    My Gilet lasted two trips before the zip collapsed. I've bought a new zip for the same price as the gilet.. However my sewing machine skills mean replacement is more difficult than i thought. My eyesight :shock: is so poor close up that threading the needle means taking it out and using a magnifying glass. The other kit seems OK.

Why not take it back and try and get another?
    FCN 10
  • windbreaker
    windbreaker Posts: 91
    Cos they don't have any more - they sell out quick. The zip was always going to the weak point. But hey I have manged to sew on one side of the new zip - so almost half way to repair. The rest of the gilet seems OK and worth a tenner I think including a new zip.

Maybe I'll run myself up some new curtains next, or copy some of that expensive Rapha Gear 8) . It can't be that difficult.... :?: