Manitou 2002/2003 100/120 Black Elite forks - spring change?

Bogster
Bogster Posts: 8
edited May 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey

i have the above forks on a Trek Liquid 10 and have noticed that on landing some jumps (i dont go that big either) i compress the fork right down to the bottom quite easily - i weigh bout 160lbs and this is within the recommended weight range for the stock springs which are medium in resisitance.

I was thinking of changing them for some firm ones which are £20 on chain reaction

any thoughts? what sort of oil would i need? it seems like an ok job to do yourself....

if it's any help the manuals are here http://www.manitoumtb.com/productmanuals.asp

Cheers

Boggy

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, its an easy job.

While you'll get the right rate for drops and stuff, it will feel different over the normal stuff. If you have a compression damping adjuster, try winding it on a bit.
  • Bogster
    thanks Supersonic but the forks dont have a damping adjuster

is there any harm staying with the medium spring and bottoming out on drops/jumps, thing is that it's bottoming out now and i want to progress and go bigger...

would different oil make a difference?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You will damage the fork eventually. Thicker oil will increase damping, but may make it prone to spiking.

I'm gonna have to say it, you need a better fork! This is an XC fork.
  • Bogster
    yeah i guess so mate, i do all sorts of riding and guess i went for a jack of all trades bike to start off with...