£1500 to spend on full-sus

spudulike
spudulike Posts: 51
edited May 2008 in MTB buying advice
I'll be mostly trail riding in the Peak District and I've got the wife's permission ( :wink: ) to spend up to £1500.

I've currently got a 2006 B1 Team Replic and I love it's light weight so I'm after minimal weight with a 5" travel bike...

I keep looking at Stumpys but I read mixed opinions on here so I'm not sure if I ought to go Stumpy or not :?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • spudulike
    Ok, except the Enduro is weighty as is the Pitch. The Giant Anthem hasn't got enough travel for me.

I'm looking for something sub 30lbs
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    You mainly find the mixed reviews, regarding the Brain shock on the Expert.

MBR recently had a test on 5 " trail bikes

Test as many bikes has you can and go from there
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    2007 Marin mount vision - £1499
    Mount visions ride really sweet, and have enough suspension travel to cope with most uk trails, but if you insist on having more travel, then try a
    Rock Springs - £1549
    Slightly above your budget, both really good bikes.

(yes I am a marin fan, but I'm more familiar with their range than other manufacturers)
  • spudulike
    That mount vision looks good but it's in small only and I'm a medium (5'9) kind of guy.

The Rock Springs looks like a beast but it's a bit on the heavy side...
  • Anonymous
    The rock springs may be heavy, but I'd put money on it climbing better than most full-sussers!

As for the Mount vision, that's just one site, and the first one I found, I'm sure you'll be able to get a medium somewhere.
  • kingster
    kingster Posts: 2
    I recently had same problem and narrowed it down to Trek Fuel EX8 and the StumpJumper Comp. Managed to get both out on loan/hire for a whole weekend and gave them both a good try out.

The Trek trounced the Stumpy by far - even though the Stumpy that they gave me was the £500 dearer Expert model with the Brain malarky. No way was it worth £5 more let alone £500 - although it did climb well.

The Trek just felt "fast" and encouraged you to really enjoy yourself, especially on the fast flowing trails, whereas the Stumpjumper was just a bit dull and uninspiring, although very capable.

So, I bought the Trek - but had a hard time getting a 17.5" as they are selling out. I have now put about 100 trail miles on it including Glentress and Innerliethen and can confirm that this bike is brilliant - totally and utterly 100% happy with my purchase.

Bottom line - if you can find one, get a test ride and you will not be disappointed.
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Kingster Thats exactly how that felt for me, and gong by the way it was reviewed on
    the home page on here. We are not far wrong !
  • spudulike
    Thanks- I'll be sure to check out the EX8 when I go to the lbs.

Anybody tried a Scott Genius MC40? Any good?
  • Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    i tried the MC 40 - It was nice but nothing special.

I almost bought one - but I did not like the proprietory suspension system from a maintenance/service point of view and so that was why I bought my Fuel EX8

ps - I have the same opinion of its performance as Kingster!
  • spudulike
    This looks quite tempting. Ought to come in at around 30lbs so it's fairly light.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/ProductDetails/mcs/referrer/froogle1/productID/8890/groupID/48/categoryID/480
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Give the Giant Trance X a test ride too, maybe? That's got a good spec for £1.5k.

The Marin looks a tremendous spec for the price - and I'm sure a couple of people on here have that frame.

Maybe you should put up another thread to attract their attention.
  • Anonymous
    Marins are pretty sweet all-round bikes. They're just currently out of "fashion".
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Marins are pretty sweet all-round bikes. They're just currently out of "fashion".

I think it depends what dealer you have in your area... I'd say in Bristol with a handful of good dealers offering them - they're very much IN fashion.

In fact, I've never liked them and even I was tempted by one back in Feb before buying my Five... My prob was I wanted a Mount Vision and an Attack Trail so decided on something in between... :lol:
  • spudulike
    zero303 wrote:
    In fact, I've never liked them and even I was tempted by one back in Feb before buying my Five... My prob was I wanted a Mount Vision and an Attack Trail so decided on something in between... :lol:

If you've got Orange 5 money that's great... I haven't :cry:
  • Anonymous
    Actually I believe that Marin have a policy of preferring brick and mortar shops to web-based shops. In this day and age, where more people are buying online, they seem to be losing poopularity
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    spudulike wrote:
    zero303 wrote:

If you've got Orange 5 money that's great... I haven't :cry:

The Five S with a Fox Float upgrade comes in at £1765 - a little over budget granted but no harm in testing one ;)

Back on Marins, the '08 Marin Rift Zone is a nice looking bike and would assume shares the qualities of it's more expensive brothers!
  • BaronHotflesh
    BaronHotflesh Posts: 17
    edited May 2008
    get this one Claat. You can make your own trail and I think it's within your budget......just

Bike-Mower-2.jpg
  • spudulike
    Thanks Hotflesh, I'll put my order down for a custom build....

In the real world- I've seen a Stumpy FSR Comp for £1200 and Stumpy FSR Elite for £1440

I'm sorely tempted back to the Specialized side but is the Elite worth the extra £240?
  • Buy the best bike you can afford. You said you had a budget of 1500 thats what you can afford. Stop being a tight @r$e and a small feline and buy the Elite.

Or you could get this......

Chopper_Bicycle.jpg

The custom paint job is extra though