New Disc Brake user. . . is this normal?

Cheshley
Cheshley Posts: 1,448
edited May 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hiya,

I've finally got around to christening my new Spesh FSR XC Comp and after the first ride (only 15 miles of gentle xc) the rear brake lever pulls almost back to the bars before anything happens. Is this ok, is it the pads bedding in, could there be something wrong?

Ta muchly
1998 Marin Hawk Hill
2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.

Comments

• 26 to Life
    26 to Life Posts: 194
    It will be easier to help if you tell us your brake brand and model.

Your lever shouldn't pull that far, but without knowing the model I can't help much more. If it's a cable brake, it needs more cable pulling through. If it's hydraulic, it may need more fluid in the system and/or a bleed.

This behaviour is definitely not pads bedding in though - That has to do with the surface finish on the pads and disc rotor, not thickness of pads.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Sorry, Spesh XC Comp comes with Hayes Stroker Rydes :oops:
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Sounds like the brake requires a bleed , if its new and only done 15 miles take it back the shop to sort out.
  • Bleed.
    If you can't do it yourself get LBS to do it.
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Get the shop to do it, any shop worth their salt should be prepared to sort something like this out if they have just sold you the bike.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result