scott scale 40

pauly walnuts
pauly walnuts Posts: 46
edited May 2008 in MTB buying advice
is this a bike worth considering buying. whats it ride like? anyone got any handy info that could help me? i can't seem to find any reviews on this bike anywhere.

thanks
p. walnuts

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What sort of riding do you want it for? XC? If so, yes! Light, great fork - test one out.
  • i'm test riding one a week on saturday. most of my ridings over varied terrain i'e the comute to work alone is a 15mile round trip with everything from tarmac to off road with hills in the route. also like to take my bikes out on a weekend for the odd jaunt round the local tracks. (mainly parts of the C2C route around where i live- tyneside)

is it on a par with the stumpjumper comp ht? i realise the spec on the scott isn't as good but i could live with that to be fair
  • supersonic
    They are similar bikes, as is the Zaskar Expert, Focus Super Bud and Merlin MALT4
  • now if we're talking bout the zasker expert carban........thats one hell of a good looking bike!
    shame i can't afford one :(
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Buy a copy of this month`s WMB for a full test.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • supermonkey
    supermonkey Posts: 315
    Buy a copy of this month`s WMB for a full test.

Scott Scale or Carbon Zaskar?
  • The Spiderman
    Scott Scale
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • thats the scott scale 20 thats featured in this month's mag. Quite a bit of differeance i think between the scale 40 and scale 20.
  • supersonic
    Yeah, one gets an alloy frame, tother is the carbon
  • don't want to spound like i'm harping on.....but i've agreed to do the coast to coast in june and after reading a few other posts that relates to the scott scale 40 being a 'very racey' bike i'm now starting to wonder if it's going to be the right choice??
    will it be an uncomfertable ride on the scale over long distances? or am i worrying about nothing!.......as usual. :?
  • supersonic
    It's not as upright as say the Scott Aspect - but given many roadies ride all day, flat backed, then maybe wont be too much of a prob! You will be in a more efficient riding position, and the bike is lght as well.
  • well i was thinking to maybe switching the flat xc bars to riser bars to give me a more upright feel to it to be honest.

as i'm buying the bike from evans....do you think there would be willing to maybe swap the bars over at the time of purchase after i've test rode it (and tell them i like the bike but not with those type of handle bars on!!) also, where do i stand with discount with evans?? using credit card to pay for bike so will be buying outright straightaway. do i stand a chance or will i be laughed at.......like in edinburgh cycles! :oops:
  • supersonic
    They should swap the bars, no probs.

As for discount... well, more likely to get a few things thrown in. Like bars ;-)
  • i'm always quite shy when asking for things like that!!! i keep thinking that i'll just get a blank look as if to say ' what, are you kidding' and then told to p@## off or something!! lol.

any tips!! :D
  • supersonic
    Not something I'd do really in an LBS, but since Evans is a big company... ;-)

Gotta be sly. Find a bike that they don't stock, that is a little bit cheaper (ie a Halfords Boardman) and say you have tried it, and can't really split it and the more expensive Scott. Um and ah. You get the picture hehe
  • haha. yeah. i totally get you!!!. i'll give it a shot. ...i guess the worst they could say is no!
  • The Spiderman
    The review in this month`s WMB is the Scale 40.(£1100 with Fox forks,LX groupset,etc).It gets 8/10 and lots of good commentsabout frame quality and lghtness,at the expense of spec and cost v comparable bikes.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • what issue number is the mag??? ithe mosr recent one i've got is issue No.82 (may 08). and theres no review of a scott scale 40 to found in it anywhere spiderman!!!!
  • The Spiderman
    Most recent,no 83.Just came out on Wednesday,this week.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • MrKawamura
    MrKawamura Posts: 192
    I'm looking for a speedy XC to compliment my road fitness riding. I've been thinking about the Scale 50. It's a bit of a reach for me financially at £750, and of course there are better specs about at that price... looks like it has the same well reviewed frame as the 40 though.
  • The Spiderman
    MrKawamura wrote:
    I'm looking for a speedy XC to compliment my road fitness riding. I've been thinking about the Scale 50. It's a bit of a reach for me financially at £750, and of course there are better specs about at that price... looks like it has the same well reviewed frame as the 40 though.

The review mentioned the 50,and reckoned you really needed to spend the extra on the 40,to do the frame justice.Might be woth it if you treat is as an upgrade project though,and change the wheels and forks later.

If £750 is you limit ,you might be better off looking at the Focus Black Forest.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • MrKawamura
    MrKawamura Posts: 192
    I just read the review, maybe not the bike for me. Probably don't need an underspecced out and out racer. I was keen on the Focus, but I think I'd need a small which they seem to have stopped selling at Wiggle... Thinking about a Rockhopper Comp now.
  • are you talikng bout the scale 50 or scale 40 Mr Kawamaura????