need a good ride in staffordshire

bloo
bloo Posts: 21
edited April 2008 in MTB rides
hi as anybody got any good rides in the staffordshire area that they know off been going cannock chase regular but getting a bit bored now need one with a few miles to do cheers

Comments

• Not really Stafffordshire but try Macc Forest, Or in Staffordshire try Dimmingsdale, Cheadle, staffs Or Apedale park nr Chesterton (Newcastle-under-lyme) Or Hanchurch woods just off J15 of M6

Non of the above are Man made way marked trails so would be best to get a little local knowledge from Local bike shops or a mate who has ridden there.

Hope this helps?
    www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!
  • bloo
    bloo Posts: 21
    cheers for that m8 i live in cheadle and go dimingsdale regular never been macc forest so ithink ill give that ago have you got a map or any other info
  • How can you get bored with Cannock Chase?

There are miles hidden stuff to go looking for and to link together for loads of different types of rides.
  • Hi, there are a few, one ot two in the book, "White Peak Mountain Biking, The Pure Trails" although most routes in this excellent book, fall in the Derbyshire Peak District, a good part of the Peak District falls into North Staffordshire, one that I did recently was the 25km South Buxton Circuit, starting out from Longnor, (a good start and finish point there is a good chippy in the main square when you have finished and hungry) total ascent is 530m, some good tough sections with great views, some road riding and a couple of pig of climbs, well worth it if you want something different from following the dog at cannock, the book is worth looking up for, as a guide, hope this helps another good ride is the route from Hartington, down the Maniflod Valley, although techincally right on the boarder, this is a fun route.
  • bloo wrote:
    cheers for that m8 i live in cheadle and go dimingsdale regular never been macc forest so ithink ill give that ago have you got a map or any other info

Sorry Not got a map but There was a Map in (Cough) MBR (Cough) a couple of issues back where they did the Macc/ Cat n Fiddle route.

Macc Forest alone wouldn't be worth the drive out (to short, 1 hour-ish) but if you did the Cat n Fiddle loop to defo worth the travelling.

Hope this helps?
    www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!
  • dhutch
    dhutch Posts: 343
    Im currently living in uttoxeter doing a years sandwich with jcb and riding around there.

Currently were doing dimingsdale on Wednesday at and cannock on Friday after work which is working ok. As soon as I get a free Saturday that its not hammering it down i plan to get out exploring at cannock and go further into whats there than just keep doing FTD every week. Just cant seam to be able to get a map out of anyone.
    Somone must have noted down the routes of some of the other bits surely!! I wouldnt mind exploring round stile cop as well, which is another area ive not yet been.

Failing that we doing three nights in scotland in the easter break doing glentress, and hoptop and llandegla (40mins from my home) would be doable on a weekend.

Hanchurch and Macc are other places ive never been eather.

Daniel
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    dhutch wrote:
    Im currently living in uttoxeter doing a years sandwich with jcb and riding around there.

Currently were doing dimingsdale on Wednesday at and cannock on Friday after work which is working ok. As soon as I get a free Saturday that its not hammering it down i plan to get out exploring at cannock and go further into whats there than just keep doing FTD every week. Just cant seam to be able to get a map out of anyone.
    Somone must have noted down the routes of some of the other bits surely!! I
    wouldnt mind exploring round stile cop as well, which is another area ive not yet been.

Failing that we doing three nights in scotland in the easter break doing glentress, and hoptop and llandegla (40mins from my home) would be doable on a weekend.

Hanchurch and Macc are other places ive never been eather.

Daniel

The best trails at Cannock are toward Sherbrook valley. But since I live 25 miles away (Burton on Trent), a trip to Cannock generally involves FTD and very little else, to avoid spending hours looking for some secret hidden trails :(