Problem removing crank

Milkie
Milkie Posts: 377
edited April 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
My new 32 teeth middle chain ring arrived today!

So I tried to remove the crank... It won't budge!!!!

Its a RaceFace Evlolve XC crankset.

I went into the LBS, they said once I've undone the two allen key bolts it should just pop off/out.

Well it didn't.

Any tips/ideas for removing the crank?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What crank exactly? ISIS or X type? I assume the latter. You may have to gently persuade it with a rubber mallet.
  • Milkie
    I think its an ISIS now, unless Shimano do X-types? lol

I have tried to persuade it with a rubber mallet.. If I hit it any harder something will break!
  • supersonic
    If it is an ISIS you will need a crank extractor.
  • Milkie
    Thank you supersonic :wink:

I'll take it down after work and get them to whip it off! While I buy an extractor too!

I guess the guy there should've asked what bottom bracket I was using as well as the crankset.

Anyone done any Titanium Aluminium Nitride Coating (Gold colour) on the chain rings?

I was thinking of pimping mine up a bit, and having them gold coated, just like the chain..

Anyone tried this before?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    X type do not have bb's as such but seperat bearing cups that screw into the bb and the axle is part of one crank.

and the RaceFace Evlolve XC cranks can be found in both ISIS and X type.

Shimanos X type is the HT 2 crank sets. ( Well the HT2 came out first).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Milkie
    and the RaceFace Evlolve XC cranks can be found in both ISIS and X type.

Mine was an X-Type, but now its a Shimano BB, so I'm guessing its ISIS... That and I can't get the arms off! lol
  • supersonic
    Cant be a Shimano BB, they don't do ISIS! They have octalink - which doesnt fit race Face cranks. However they look similar.
  • Milkie
    Right I get it now..

Raceface = X-Type or ISIS
    Shimano = Octalink or HT1/2

I just had a look at my bottom bracket, because I would've placed my life on it being Shimano.

It doesnt say Shimano on it. :? It has no manufacture on it, just says..

"MOUNTAIN IE DO NOT DISASSEMBLE"

Think I need to go to park tools and read up on the differences between ISIS/X-Type and HT..

I'm just hoping the LBS can get the arm off!!