New Commuting Jacket?

andylaw79
andylaw79 Posts: 28
edited April 2008 in Commuting chat
Just completed my first 2 months of commuting and the with some of the cash I've saved from not filling up the car I want to buy a new waterproof jacket.

I'm currently using a lightweight walking jacket I already had but want something with a more cycle specific fit, mine tends to flap around too much when its windy and want to spend around £50.

Looking at the Endura Gridlock or the DHB Hawkley. Has anyone got either of these?

Secondly Hi-Vis or not Hi-vis?

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    get one with reflecting piping, you don't need to look like another clown in yellow.

I've got a Gore pac-lite jacket and it's great as it weighs virtually nothing so carrying it is no problems and is goretex waterproof.. I think it was about £100 though so a little pricey for you're looking for
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    I've got the Gore Xenon winter jacket and it's very good indeed, although too warm for summer. Their race jacket looks lightweight and good, but quite pricey.
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    get one with reflecting piping, you don't need to look like another clown in yellow.

I don't understand the anti-hi-vis fascist views expressed by some... :?

Personally, I would go for the hi-vis. I don't see how being more visible could be a bad thing. Unless someone can come up with scientific proof that wearing black can make you more visible...or you want to look like a ninja :P

I've got this...

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... uctID=8123

The weather is getting a bit too warm for it now...but has got me through all sorts of weather in the winter.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I've got the Nevis too but in blue.
    I also didn't like yellow but wish I'd gone hi vis now - Doh! :oops:
  • andylaw79
    Thanks for the advice everybody,

I think that all the jackets that I've been looking and the Nevis suggested will all probably have the the same degree of performance for the money. Just a question of which I like the look of more. Still undecided on the Hi-Vis though.
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    I've just got one of these as my usual Gill cycling jacket is a little heavier.

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ty ... =3&ID=1828

Seems good so far.
    FCN 10
  • You could try the night vision as well.
    Dan
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Clever Pun wrote:

I don't understand the anti-hi-vis fascist views expressed by some... :?

I just don't like yellow wouldn't say I came across as facist to the colour though.

I just think it makes cyclists look like sheep to use an analogy, but that's my personal opinion, follow the herd if you want, whatever makes you feel safe I guess
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    Why don't you get the non hi-viz jacket and wear a hi-viz Sam Browne belt or gilet on top? That way when it gets too hot for the jacket you still have the bright yellow option if you want.
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    I ride in a blue Gore-Tex top, which is fine, but since 95% of the time i wear a rucksac i bought a respro hump cover for it, its yellow and had nightvision sutff on it, and its waterproof so it keep the stuff in my bag dry! plus i don't look too much like a sheep...
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • andylaw79
    Thanks for the tip Linoue, I'll bear that in mind. That combined with the hi-vis cover for my rack bag I should be pretty visible.