Carlsberg don't do cycle-commutes...

psychle
psychle Posts: 83
edited April 2008 in Commuting chat
... but if they did...

2nd attempt at my new commute this morning, this time with the main cycle before I got on the train, including six miles along a rural canal towpath.

No roads, no buildings, no people. Just swans, ducks, deer, a heron pacing me as he glided over the glass-like water surface and on the far bank some white horses emerging through the mist-enshrouded foliage.

Ok, there was a slight headwind and the towpath surface is awful, but still, not too shabby. :D

"Like a pig towing a cart-load of sausages - I draw my own conclusions"

Comments

• GEPC
    GEPC Posts: 123
    I wish there was a route into central London like that!
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    GEPC wrote:
    I wish there was a route into central London like that!

Yeah, if the Thames was straight, and didn't wobbly round like the local drunk, it would make the commute from Twickenham to town a lot easier.With less traffic, on a nice morning it would be magic...Though they'd have to sort it out that bikes going in go on one bank and those going out go on the other!! :)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    I had a day like that earlier in the week (minus the scenery), it put a smile on my face that wouldn't go away.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    I think it must have been a combination of it being a Friday plus slightly nicer weather today as my commute in was decent too. Started out fast, flagged a little in the middle but then blitzed the last third.
  • psychle wrote:
    ... but if they did...

2nd attempt at my new commute this morning, this time with the main cycle before I got on the train, including six miles along a rural canal towpath.

No roads, no buildings, no people. Just swans, ducks, deer, a heron pacing me as he glided over the glass-like water surface and on the far bank some white horses emerging through the mist-enshrouded foliage.

Ok, there was a slight headwind and the towpath surface is awful, but still, not too shabby. :D

Sounds like cycle commuter's heaven to me.
    k.curtis
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    Where's the pics?

:lol:
    FCN 10
  • When it's good, it's very good :P
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • Is it the Union Canal? I sometimes take the canal into Edinburgh from Almondell Country Park. It can be lovely, especailly heading out here to Livingston on a summer morning. Tonight its a lovely sunny summer (?) evening. If I finish early, maybe by 7pm, I'll take the canal back into Edinburgh. Fantastic.

I used to drive one day a week, but now I enjoy the cycle (and sometimes the train) so much I haven't driven for weeks. Aren't we cyclists lucky? :D
  • psychle
    psychle Posts: 83
    A - W wrote:
    Where's the pics?

:lol:

And I thought my poetic imagery would paint a vivid enough picture inside your head :P

It's a section of the Forth & Clyde canal, West of the Falkirk Wheel which passes underneath the A80, about here...
    http://www.williemiller.co.uk/wp-content/forth-and-clyde-canal-near-kilsyth.jpg

Coincidentally, traffic news this morning said the A80 was at a standstill because there was a dead deer on the cariageway :shock:

"Like a pig towing a cart-load of sausages - I draw my own conclusions"
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I cycle along this river:

SWPeninsularProperties_Pendowr_Exterior.jpg

Past this cathedral:

Truro%20Cathedral-5-09-04.jpg

and into this valley:

Room_1_View_(valley_2).jpg

and then back to this view at home:

IMG_0389.jpg

which is nice.