New Chainrings

dhutch
dhutch Posts: 343
edited April 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Bikes a year old now, and although im very happy with her and she still rides well, im having a bit of trouble with chain suck and am looking to whack some new chain rings on to see if that cures it.
- To me they dont look too bad (and i might stick some photos up in a bit) however its not the chain because ive just had another new one after bending one when it last sucked.

The bikes a 07 rockhopper, and the crank set is down as being 'Shimano FC-M442-8' which is a four hole thing 44t 32t 22t in Ali Steel Steel.
- Can i use any four hole chain rings?
- What do you get for the more expensive ones and whats the right level for a balance?
- And is there any point alu over steel, why is that done on the outer one of all ring? (its know it biggest, but also most exposed!)

CRC have about 400 rings, that s a big choice for someone who only sees four hold or five hole!

Cheers, Daniel.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You need rings with a 104mm BCD and for the granny a 64mm BCD.

for pics of worn rings look on sheldons webby.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    nd is there any point alu over steel, why is that done on the outer one of all ring? (its know it biggest, but also most exposed!)

I'm guessing here... Aluminium is lighter. Aluminium is probably only used on the outer as the load on the teeth is less than on the other two rings, as it has more teeth. Therefore it can be made out of a softer/lighter material.

Can you put a XT chainring on to a Race Face crankset? and vice versa...?

I wanna get my chainrings Titanium Aluminium Nitride coated, for extra gold bling.! Dunno if it will work tho. :shock:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Milkie wrote:
    nd is there any point alu over steel, why is that done on the outer one of all ring? (its know it biggest, but also most exposed!)

I'm guessing here... Aluminium is lighter. Aluminium is probably only used on the outer as the load on the teeth is less than on the other two rings, as it has more teeth. Therefore it can be made out of a softer/lighter material.

Can you put a XT chainring on to a Race Face crankset? and vice versa...?

I wanna get my chainrings Titanium Aluminium Nitride coated, for extra gold bling.! Dunno if it will work tho. :shock:

if the BCD is the same yes. (in most cases, some shimano crank spiders might need to lose a small bit of ally to allow some aftermarket rings to fit).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That's not a bad crank - and new rings would cost nearly as much as just getting a new one!

What is your budget?
  • dhutch
    Well i dont know, i dont really know how much its likely to cost!!
  • supersonic
    Have a look at this:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=12

Hollowtech crank arms, alloy middle and outer rings, steel inner, with LX Octalink BB. Bargain.
  • dhutch
    What about this?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=9239

Would i be right in saying that roughly what i have now?
  • supersonic
    Similar - not sure whether they would fit direct onto your crank arms, amy need filing slightly (as nick says). This is something to so with the difference in HT2 crank arms, and HT1 or none HT.

Quality wise, almost identical to the set on the crank I posted a link to, and is a better crank than you have, with a better bottom bracket for just ten quid more.
  • dhutch
    Yeah, that is madness really isnt it!
  • skyliner
    skyliner Posts: 613
    The HTII middle rings also space 0.6mm out further, and can catch the pickups on the big ring leading to chainsuck in some cases.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.