Burgundy or the Loire (or somewhere else?!)

pigeon42
pigeon42 Posts: 98
edited May 2008 in Tour & expedition
My partner and I are looking at spending this year's holiday in France, taking the bikes with us on the car, and basing ourselves in one place to do day rides in that area.

The two main areas we're thinking of are either Burgundy or the Loire valley. We've been to Burgundy before (staying near Saulieu), although not really cycled there (we flew over before, so no bikes) - however, we really loved it there, the area seemed fairly quiet, and beautiful countryside (and great wine of course!)

I've heard really good things about the Loire valley too - and just wondered if anyone here's been to the Loire (or Loire and Burgundy) and had recommendations?

We're hoping to go in early September, so hopefully both regions should still have reasonable-ish weather - we're not too bothered about scorching temperatures and sunshine everyday!

I'd be really grateful for any advice anyone can offer!
FCN 10

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    My choice for get away from it all would be Burgundy. Lovely & quiet & more 'France' than some parts of the Loire which are a bit touristy and full of chateaus :wink:
    Also my experience of Loire is that apart from valley its a bit boring - eg up on the plateau - Burgundy is more rural and varied. We were on the hedge of the national park (Chatillion??) but this was 10 or more years ago....
    HAve fun!
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    My choice for get away from it all would be Burgundy. Lovely & quiet & more 'France' than some parts of the Loire which are a bit touristy and full of chateaus :wink:
    Also my experience of Loire is that apart from valley its a bit boring - eg up on the plateau - Burgundy is more rural and varied. We were on the edge of the national park (Chatillion??) but this was 10 or more years ago....
    HAve fun!
  • wasp707
    wasp707 Posts: 116
    It's hard to seperate the two and both have their own appeal. Having been to both,the Loire is fairly touristy and on the whole pretty flat and there are cycle paths around. On the other hand, Burgundy is hillier and not so touristy. Burgundy also has a fair few bike paths but the roads are quieter anyway. I would check out the guide books and see what takes your famcy.
  • Go for Burgandy, try a place called Cluny, over the hill from Macon, good campsite there on edge of the town. Excellent cycling in all directions: hilly if you want or flat along the valley floor. There is also a cycle path following an old railway line with a good surface and is about 15 miles long.
  • pigeon42
    pigeon42 Posts: 98
    Thanks very much for the advice - I think Burgundy is the place to go by the sound of it. When we were there last, we loved the fact that it seemed very untouristy and quiet, and it sounds as if the Loire valley is a bit more busy.

Itching to get planning now and get on our way!
    FCN 10