Stroker Trails...bleed?

cunning-stunt
cunning-stunt Posts: 614
edited April 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Anyone know how you bleed these things? I need to shorten the hose on the rear.
Nothing on Hayes site,and I can't turn up anything on the interwebby.

I used to have HFX's,and the bleed nipple on the caliper of the Strokers is the same,but instead of a rubber pull cap on the reservoir like the HFX's there's a torx bolt on top of the reservoir.
I'm well used to bleeding the HFX's,so it it's the same procedure then all well and good.

I have all the fittings and squeezy bottles and fluid etc,but before I undo the torx on top of the ressy I'd like confirmation.

The instructions I had were exactly the same as I had with the HFX's.

Any help appreciated.
=========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me

Comments

• skyliner
    skyliner Posts: 613
    Try and get hold of a Formula/ Avid/Giant MPH bleed kit. As the fitting for the res bleed port is the same.
    Then push the fluid down from the top, close the caliper nipple, and pressurise the MC and suck out any excess air like you would with Avids.
    Job done.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    drop me a mail and i will forward you the Hayes bleed info.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cunning-stunt
    cunning-stunt Posts: 614
    edited April 2008
    Nick,I think I managed that,although not sure tbh.Had loads of windows and 'click OK' boxes open up.
    My proper email address is *******@**** if that's any good?

Skyliner,thanks for replying,but I've never worked on Avids.
    HFX's work from the bottom up,and I'm assuming the Strokers are very similar seeing as they're damn near the same?
    Sucking air from the top doesn't seem right to me :?: I shall PM you a thousand apologies if you are indeed right,but I hope you understand when I say I'll wait to see what Nick can do first.

edit...guess the email addy isn't any good :lol::lol:

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    mail sent. I must remind Hayes that they said they would update their webby.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Once again I'm indebted to you Nick,can't thank you enough. 8)
    Pretty much the same as HFX's as I suspected,but so much nicer being sure.

Thanks bud,owe you a beer :wink:

• skyliner
    The old Hayes bleed instructions were top down, and I find it works better on HFX, MAG, and Strokers to revert to it with a small mod. I bleed on average 6-8 brakes over a weekend, and look after a fleet of Kona hire and demo bikes.(all Hayes)
    I've found the bottom up bleed too time consuming, as it's not as good at removing all of the air. If you don't pressurise the MC you would have to remove the lever body from the bar to get the bleed port high enough to remove air from the res near the lever blade.
    It's not possible to use the Hayes bottle system on Strokers with any great success IME.

I'm just trying to save you some time and frustration to give you a better result based on experience.
  • skyliner wrote:
    It's not possible to use the Hayes bottle system on Strokers with any great success IME.

Now I am totally confused :oops:

• skyliner
    I mean the basic 2 bottle bleed kit. It's better to use a syringe.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I emailed Hayes and asked if they had any bleed instructions. They replied with an attached document in about half an hour.

It wasn't as easy as the instructions made out - the tubes kept falling off the bleed port (on the calliper) meaning I had to start again. I got there in the end though.
  • The tube onto the bleed nipple is a sod admittedly.
    Still wonder why they send HFX instructions with Strokers though :?:
    They are different when it comes to bleeding.

I have the full instructions courtesy of Nick (thankee again),but I do think it's pretty bad that Strokers have been out for ages and there's nothing on the site.