Bottom Bracket Height and the effects/causes...

drumon
drumon Posts: 175
edited April 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I have picked up a reasonably priced mountain bike at a police bike auction.

I am concerned that the bottom bracket height is rather low.
It measures 8".

Can you advise me the correct (approx) bottom bracket height for a mountain bike used for light trails and commuting?

I reckon the original suspension fork was replaced by a rigid fork (400mm axle to crown) as this bottom bracket height feels rather low..... hence a sus. fork would raise this bottom bracket somewhat wouldnt it?

Should I consider getting a longer fork to raise the bottom bracket? A rigid fork will suit me fine.

The bike is a Diamant (norwegian) Extreme Zero Degree

Looking forward to your replies.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    do you have a picture of your bike.

A low BB on its own just means a low center of gravity.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • drumon
    I'll get a picture up soon....

But does the low BB also mean the pedals are closer to the goround eg when on corners? thats what concerns me,.....
  • drumon
    edited April 2008
    sorry, big mistake
    the BB Height has been measured wrong, it is in fact 12".... more than satisfactory i suppose.

however as I expect the current fork is not original (its a different colour from frame) and was probably a cheapo replacement for a sus. fork.... would having a longer rigid fork anyway be an issue or an improvement?

I have read that it could make steering light? what else?
  • nicklouse
    Ok still pictures so we can see what it is all about.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • drumon
    here's thepicture

bike is 18" frame.

Fork is 400mm axle to crown.

BB Height is 12"

[/img]mybikewebsize.jpg[img][/img]
  • nicklouse
    dont think i would be wanting to put a longer fork on that.
  • drumon
    Thanks for your advice.

For my own curiosity and knowledge, what is the drawback of having a longer fork, eg up to 420 or 430mm?
  • nicklouse
    slower steering that falls over in corners. also that look slack enough already. Typical Scandinavian geometry.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    nick, what do you mean "falls over in corners"?
  • nicklouse
    when the head angle get too slack you can get a feeling of the wheel wanting to flop over when steering.
  • Anonymous
    It's got to be really, really slack for that though, right?
  • nicklouse
    i know one bike where just an extra 30mm does that when you are standing on the pedals. when pointing down hill it is okish but...
  • Anonymous
    Wow. which bike is that then?
    The angles are really relaxed on mine, casuse it was NEVER designed for a fork that tall, but I've never realised that effect.
    I do have to make a conscious effort to shift my weight forwards on fast tight bends, but it's worth it for the "ready for anything" stance everywhere else.