Wiggle and City Link!?!?!?

donnie murdo
donnie murdo Posts: 986
edited April 2008 in MTB buying advice
Does anyone know when Wiggle got the hairbrained idea of using ShityLink????

They are awful at domestic deliveries they are set up for delivering to businesses. They are so poor at delivering to private addresses. I just had my first (Wiggle order I have had them fom other things in the past with the same sad story) delivery from them. As I am at work all day (like most people) I was not in. Normally this is no problem as I get a card from the Royal Mail and pop down to the depot about 10mins cycle away and get the parcel next day. City Links depot is 30 miles away from where I live in the arse end of nowhere. I am not taking they day off work to wait in for some Clif Bars and a pump:(

This is such a shame as I have been using Wiggle for 6 years and will now have to reconsider this.

Anyone else had any problems?

Comments

• I've had *loads* of stuff delivered to home by citylink from many online shops and *never* had a problem with them. i'm happy. why not get it delivered to work instead?
    although citylink are a fair way away from me too at least they're open till 8pm for collection unlike the post office where its 7am - 1pm and i'm never able to get to them for those times.
    i'm not gonna stop using wiggle just cos of citylink thats a touch silly as they're one of the best online bike shops. and i know i'm repeating but why not get it delivered to work?
  • I cannot get stuff delivered to work due my companies policy on that (yes the are the Stasi) and I am not taking time off work to wait in for low value goods I can get elsewhere. I have loved Wiggle for years but I simply cannot use them anymore. My local Ryal mail delivery office is open until 8pm and is not in another town 30 miles away.
  • i too have the same problem with city link there is a 40 mile drive to pick a a parcel up.if an online retailer uses city link,i avoid the retailer.
  • gthang
    gthang Posts: 293
    Why not get orders posted to parents / grand parents or another friendly address? I do and it works a treat.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I now check delivery details on the websites.....

If they use CityLink, or Parceline, I won't use the company.

If they use either withhout detailing that they do so then I simply ask for a refund.

Perhaps they will take the hint?
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Never,ever had a problem with Citylink tbh.
    If I do miss them and they can't leave it with a neighbour,they stick a card through which either states a redelivery date,or a request to call them and arrange redelivery.

I do have the advantage of not being in work from Monday through 'til Friday though.
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    $hittyLink are terrible if you work 9-5 monday to friday, and cannot get it delivered to work.

$hitty link are only open 9-5 monday to friday, so I would have to take half a days holiday to collect a parcel.

Parcelfarce are gods compared with $hittyLink.. Even though I've had stuff lost by ParcelFarce; so thats saying a lot for $hittyLink!
  • Cunobelin
    Milkie wrote:
    $hittyLink are terrible if you work 9-5 monday to friday, and cannot get it delivered to work.

$hitty link are only open 9-5 monday to friday, so I would have to take half a days holiday to collect a parcel.

Parcelfarce are gods compared with $hittyLink.. Even though I've had stuff lost by ParcelFarce; so thats saying a lot for $hittyLink!

LAs time I did this twice - to find both times (15 mile detour) thatthey had "forgotten" and it was back put on the wagons,,,,,,,,, very unimpressed
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Never used them for home delivery, I always get my stuff sent to work, seeing as that is where I am 9-5, 5 days a week...
  • freebs
    freebs Posts: 199
    If it doesn't suit, don't order it. Go to LBS. Ask Mr Wiggle to drop it of him(her!)self on his way back from work in the 10 minutes you're available. Get over it.
  • gthang
    freebs wrote:
    If it doesn't suit, don't order it. Go to LBS. Ask Mr Wiggle to drop it of him(her!)self on his way back from work in the 10 minutes you're available. Get over it.

Well Said!!!

I really don't agree with this, the service is not terrible. Terrible / poor service implies they have not meet the required obligations. IE parcel lost / delivered late / damaged box etc..Have City link lied and deliberately deceived you?

If you are not in during the delivery companies working day then simply don’t use and pay for the service.

If your work does not allow personal deliveries then tough luck. Don’t use and pay for the service.

A reverse statement is
    "I live near city link depo and I can get deliveries to work. I think city links service is fantastic. "

A totally nonsensical argument.
  • I'm with donnie murdo on this one, the nearest distribution centre from me is 40 miles away plus they won't give you any idea of arrival time either. Realising my mistake I asked them to deliver to my dad but they said they couldn't do that either, once the item had been dispatched - it never used to be like this...... :roll:

It only seems to be on big or heavy items though, smaller stuff is still delivered by my local posty - bless him!
  • gthang
    vickster wrote:
    I'm with donnie murdo on this one, the nearest distribution centre from me is 40 miles away plus they won't give you any idea of arrival time either. Realising my mistake I asked them to deliver to my dad but they said they couldn't do that either, once the item had been dispatched !

The moral of this is check the delivery service before placing an order and if you don't like it / cannot accommodate then don't place the order. If enough people do this then the retailer will lose business and they will have to offer a more flexible service.

The problem lies with the retailer for choosing a basic currier service, not the currier company. City link are performing the service as described in their own terms & conditions. The delivery service is inflexible because it cheap, Wiggle knew this then the delivery contract was placed with Citylink. Cheap is good as the wiggle wants to keep costs down.

Bottom line - Complain to wiggle for not paying for a more flexible service. Not citylink.

PS I don’t work for citylink! And I don’t really care as I never shop with wiggle.
  • Cunobelin
    freebs wrote:

I used to pick it up from Wiggle, until they stopped this facility.

I now use http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk because I can pick up...... an have all the friendliness, assistance and help that Wiggle have lost....
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • stelvio
    stelvio Posts: 1,422
    Agree - Wiggle past their best; I no longer use them.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    City Link are terrible.

I had a non bike item sent a while back and the nearest depot in Plymouth (over an hour away). Missed the guy twice (he arrived at 9.03 one time - I got back at 9.04) and had a real battle to get hold of the item. They have NO flexibility and as is common with most courier companys, NO idea when they'll deliver and no way of contacting drivers.

SURELY they can sort this out?!

If Wiggle are using them, I seriously doubt I'll order off them again.
  • pyro_maniac
    pyro_maniac Posts: 232
    i had a problem with my bike when i ordered it from wiggle, but the cock up was with wiggle, city link bent over backwards to help me get my order in the end
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    don't people take advantage of the free postage with royal mail?
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    There are problems with all courier companies, trust me, I have used quite a few and they are all as bad as one another. They all have similar problems with not having up to date delivery times, in fact the ones I use regularly do not state deliver times, apart from Next Day.

Wiggle will use however is most cost effective for them, they offer free delivery, they will not pick a more expensive courier based on the fact some of the customers may prefer them. The use of another more expensive courier will not doubt upset other people as well, and Wiggle would have to put up prices to compensate.

To be honest if you are not in at the delivery address during the day, and you can't get stuff delivered to your work address, you have to accept online shopping is not really an option for you, only small items would be sent via Royal Mail due to the high charges they charge for anything that weighs above 500gms.

I have had loads of stuff delivered by City Link, and only once had a problem where something went missing. Other carriers have lost more.

I ordered a saddle from Wiggle, on free delivery, within 3 days the saddle arrived via City Link without any issues.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    This is a growing problem when buying on line, I've sometimes found the hassle of actually receiving the delivery effectively costs more than using my LBS (now if only they openned on a Sunday but that's for another thread).

What I can't get my head around is why one of the big couriers like City Link don't team up with one of the petrol station chains and let you choose the petrol station as the delivery address. It would be great, most people live close to a petrol station, it's got to cost City Link less (no more missed deliveries and maybe a reduction in drops as well) and most petrol stations never shut. (and if not petrol stations what about supermarkets / News Agent chains / convienience stores etc.).

I like buying on lin but the delivery aspect can be very frustrating (and I can get stuff delivered to work, just don't like doing it as things can go missing after they've been signed for :( .
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    City Link are a bit more variable than most courier companies. I think it's down to the local depots being franchises.

I used to have a hell of a time at my old address with Citylink. They tended to return stuff without attempting to deliver it as "address does not exist", or they'd say they attempted delivery but I'd never get a card. It got so bad that one of the retailers I use a fair amount (ebuyer) doesn't dispatch my stuff by Citylink anymore.

Since I've moved, though they've been great. The weird part is that it's the same local depot.
  • mab bee
    mab bee Posts: 196
    I agree that city link (and business post) are rubbish. Better alternatives do exist... and CRC use them. CRC use parcelforce for larger items, the advantage of parcelforce is that they will leave the item at a post office for you.

Many people can't have items delivered to work, often for security or logistical reasons. I think it is madness that more courier companies don't offer flexible options by teaming up with petrol stations / supermarket chains / convenience stores. With the boom in internet retailing, there is certainly scope for making a bit of money by offering convenient pickup. Perhaps the way to fund it is to make the end customer pay the premium direct to the pickup place (much like you have to pay 50p to pick up parcelforce items from the post office)
  • V-twin
    V-twin Posts: 49
    I suppose Wiggle will continue to go for the cheapest option until the decreased income from disaffected customers has an impact on the increased profits they reap from a low cost courier. But by then it will be too late as the cost of getting those lost customers back will be frightening...

If it's City Link, I don't buy; and when I sell (on ebay say) then I use Parcel Force - dead steady and with plenty of common sense...

mox senex dormit
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    This is why I use CRC almost exclusively. They use Royal Mail - I must have bought hundreds of pounds worht of gear from them over the past few years and never once had a failed or difficult delivery (did I sound like a midwife then?).

I think that CRC are miles better (and cheaper) than Wiggle for almost everything, plus they have a bigger range of brands.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    City Link have to be the worst, least helpful, incompetant service I have ever had the shocking mis-fortune to deal with. They were supposed to deliver something to me, and they lost it, and 80 other parcels, but only 1 person told me this, when i called back later the same day, someone told me thet it was all fine and that the package had already bee delvered to me... you'd think i'd have noticed? So, eventually, like, 10 days later they found it, but rather than delivering it, they sent it back to who it came from.... eventually I got it.

Now i know wiggle use them, i will remember not to order anything from them. CRC and Merlin all the way!
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • Paul Sh
    Paul Sh Posts: 607
    The only problem i have with City Link is everytime i get something the box is always split and bashed, not good if you want to resell something at a later date, i'm sure they play football with all the parcels in their lunch hour. BTW it's not city links fault that you live 30 miles away, they cant situate all their depots next to every single housing estate.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Not a single good word for City Link yet they seem to be thriving.

That's wrong.