Classic cycling knee pain

tomw2000
tomw2000 Posts: 5
edited April 2008 in Health, fitness & training
All, I'm sure this has come up in the past or at least there's many of you who've suffered it. I'm looking for the solution/cure:

I get pain on the outside edge of my knees (one alot worse than other) when cycling. This only happens when pushing hard, on longer distance/time rides and usually only when there's a fair bit of tough off-road.

I'm pretty sure this is not down to cleat position.

it seems that streching during and after helps. There is no sign of swelling. The pain (esp in the right knee) is acute - really hurts to push down on the pedal. The same pain does not occur when/if I run - but to be fair my runs are all only around 45mins.

So anyone know the cure please? :)

Comments

• endurojcb
    endurojcb Posts: 170
    Might be Iliotibial Band Syndrome (ITB).

I get a stabbing like pain where my tibia and fibular meet on both legs when I run or use a cross-trainer for 30mins or more. It's normally okay when running for the first 5-10 mins, but then starts to ache and gradually gets worse and worse until I can't go on because of the pain. I tend to get the pain just as I lift my weight off each leg. That's one of the reasons I took up cycling, as I don't seem to get any pain from it.

The first time I noticed it was when I helped a mate move offices and was going up and down 4 flights of stairs for a whole day lugging furniture down. I got to the point where the pain was so excrutiating that I couldn't go up or down them any more!
    2007 Merlin Malt 4