A new bike and a stuck STI shifter on ride 3

becmark
becmark Posts: 7
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,
Got my new bike on Friday. This is my first roadbike, based on Kenesis Racelight T frame.Bit of a shock to the system after years of mountain biking, but once I got over the "I feel very precarious on these skinny tyres" shock. I've been having loads of fun. I think I'm a convert!

Sadly today (ride number 3) I seem to have knackered my front shifter :(

It's a Shimano STI system with Tiagra deralieur. The front chain ring is a double, the shifters had a label attached saying they would work with a double or triple. They also said don't push hard, after point X or things may break!

What went wrong? Well I was on the big front chainring, tried to change down and I think I shifted the wrong way. Now I can't change up or down. I didn't force the levers and I don't think anything broke (permanently) but something is now obviously wrong. The cable to the front deralieur is tight if that helps.

Off to shed in a minute to ponder this (but have 0% bike mechanic experience).

Can any one offer any tips?

Comments

• hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    Un clamp the cable at the front derailleur, see if everything goes slack.

It should then be easu to work out where the problem is. For example if the drailleur is loose and the cable is tight its probably a cable sticking. It should be possible to work out exactly where the problem is.
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    I know this may sound stupid (it's not my first stupid comment), but if you have brake-hoods, make sure that the hood has not shifted out of position....believe it or not, if the hood is wonky, there's a good chance that the shifter won't function (happend to me on a ride....didn't notice it, took it to the LBS and he spotted it right off.....I felt really stupid)
    :)
    Cajun
  • becmark
    becmark Posts: 7
    Sorted. Thanks.

After unfastening cable, the shifter freed up and I could pop it back into position. Looks like with a 3 position shifter and a double chainring trying to change up again (by mistake) from the big chainring, over tensions the cable. Have stuck a high tech gaffer tape strip over the unused position on my shifter to prompt myself in future. doh.
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    Maybe worth checking the adjustment of the min and max adjusting screws for the front derailleur, I think the cable should stop moving before you get in such a position that the shifter is trying to engage a third ring. It's a very simple adjustment too, just a phillips screwdriver.

I am sure there are some experts on Gear know how forun who can help.