What's with the spiitting ??

Westbrom
Westbrom Posts: 12
edited May 2008 in Commuting chat
I have just started cycling and have been trying to build up some time in the saddle. Intention is to get fit while enjoying the great cycling experience. I must say I have caught the bug and i love it.

However on my way home yesterdayI was unlucky enough to get gobbed on by some tossers in a red golf as it went past. They thought it was really funny until i caught up with them at a set of lights. When faced with an angry cyclist all I got was them staring straight ahaed trying to pretend this guy ranting outside their car wasnt there. I tried doors and they were locked. Not really sure what I would have done if they had opened to be honest.!!!

Was not until they pulled away a safe distance that they opened the window again and started more abuse. Cowards!

Must say I was, and indeed still am, angry at this. I got the registration number of the car and wonder if I should call the police or something i case this is something that can be done about it. I imagine not though so i really I should forget about it and move on and just enjoy cycling shouldn't I?

Is this a common thing? and can someone please somehow expalin to me why people would spit on a complete stranger like this? They would not do it walking down a street so why on a cyclist?

Note how I managed to avoid using any sweary words on this post. It was very difficult I can tell you.

Comments

• chronyx
    chronyx Posts: 455
    Spitting is classed as assault.

I would probably have ended up kicking the crap out of their car - well done for keeping the Neanderthal within at bay :lol:
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I might have tried to wipe my arse with his car in that situation!!!
  • TheBoyBilly
    TheBoyBilly Posts: 749
    As chronyx said, this is an assault. You may not get anywhere by reporting this now but future incidents of this behaviour should result in at least a caution. You don't have to put up with this.
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I have found that drivers aren't as innured to people invading their personal space as we are.

Rapping knuckles on the roof/wing/boot of a car sounds a LOT worse inside the car. I have found that this will often either cause the driver to get out to look/shout at you (which is okay, because you are on an escape vehicle) or shout at the passenger who has just put his precious paintwork at risk.

I find the drum intro to "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" pretty satisfying on a car roof.
  • Westbrom
    I must admit I felt like rapping my knuckles on those guys noses and see what tune that would have sounded like.

I think will report it as if they do it all the time and no ones reports it then they will continue doing it.

I just dont get some people!
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Were you wearing a West Brom shirt? Recommend switching allegiance and donning Stoke kit, thereby garnering respect from passing motorists rather than abuse 8)
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    I’d report it.

OK, you’re probably right in that the end official report will be zero.

However,
    1. its one more record of ‘assault on cyclist’
    2. A lot of these tw@s still live at home with mummy, probably out in mummys car or its insured in mummys name.
    Little Wayne doesn’t want mummy upset by plod coming to her door to have a chat……

I’m still waiting for the 1st of these brain dead cap stands to try one of these ‘drive by’ incidents with a cycle copper without realising :twisted:
  • I'd agree with Gambatte, even though the driver probably "won't remember" who his passengers were and it'll be unlikely that the spitter will be traced. The cop should issue the driver with a warning notice for using his car in an anti social manner. If he gets two of these in twelve months the car is seized.......how happy will mummy be then ???
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Gambatte wrote:
    I’d report it.
    waste of time really
    OK, you’re probably right in that the end official report will be zero.
    will be zero from the start- you are merely wasting your time at the station filling in paperwork

However,
    1. its one more record of ‘assault on cyclist’
    sadly- no one records these- there are no figures officially produced to confirm these cases ever happen
    2. A lot of these tw@s still live at home with mummy, probably out in mummys car or its insured in mummys name.
    Little Wayne doesn’t want mummy upset by plod coming to her door to have a chat……
    Plod won't be going anywhere near their home ( even if you have the number of the car) its not something that is seen as even a low priority- it is a sheet of paer in a police file and offence could never be proven, unless you got the spit and it can be DNA tested!

I’m still waiting for the 1st of these brain dead cap stands to try one of these ‘drive by’ incidents with a cycle copper without realising :twisted:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    As chronyx said, this is an assault. You may not get anywhere by reporting this now but future incidents of this behaviour should result in at least a caution. You don't have to put up with this.

Only caution likely to be given to police is for wasting police time :oops:

A caution cannot be issued if there is not sufficient evidence to prove ( in a court of law- a criminal court) that the alleged assailant did indeed assault the alleged victim.

Where A says it didn't happen and V says it did, in the absence of other evidence, you are never going to be able to get a conviction - and hence the criteria for being able to make out the grounds to issue a caution are not made out
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Gambatte
    1 I’ve reported to police and been told come in fill in the report and if traceable soemone’ll go out and have a word.

2 I know of an incident same as this except to a pedestrian instead of a cyclist where plod did go out. Its one of the reasons I would report it as my workmate banned his son from borrowing the car.

My own ‘egging’ incident was one of a couple put to a driver, which ended up with him pleading guilty to dangerous driving.

The spitting may be one more thing to add to a string of complaints, and if you don’t complain then it definitely didn’t happen.
  • Gambatte
    The other side to this is that if suddenly everyone takes your advice and no one reports these crimes as ‘nothings going to get done’, you’re right, nothing gets done and reported crime figures go down.

I can just see the accountants response.

“Oh look, Policing is really good – lets make budgetary savings”…….

Everyone works to stats these days (well 99.9%)

You pay Council Tax? Report it, end of the day, coppers are public servants.

How can you be wasting police time by reporting an assault?

To quote the Police response to being questioned about Magnatoms videos “We’d ask you notified the Police in the 1st instance”.

Give it a bit of time and some body like CTC will be going to plod under freedom of information and asking “How many reported assaults on cyclists last year? How many prosecuted?”
  • GEPC
    GEPC Posts: 123
    I have been spat at once by some prick in a white van and I have also had a chav in a hothatch try to run me off the road and threaten me. I didn't manage to catch up with the white van but the idiot in the green hatch back parks his car in the same place most days and I cycle past it most evenings. Evey time I see it I consider arranging an accident for his wing mirrors but so far have decided to keep the moral high ground. If anyone here feels more militant about these sort of things then its usually parked on the South Lambeth road before you get to Stockwell. It reg has POJ in it and its driven by an objectional ratty looking bloke.

Not that I advocate taking the law into my own hands. Would rather we could all just get on and share the road, but its hard not to get pissed off when someone actually threatens you with violence.
  • Gambatte
    GEPC wrote:
    I have been spat at once by some prick in a white van and I have also had a chav in a hothatch try to run me off the road and threaten me. I didn't manage to catch up with the white van but the idiot in the green hatch back parks his car in the same place most days and I cycle past it most evenings. Evey time I see it I consider arranging an accident for his wing mirrors but so far have decided to keep the moral high ground. If anyone here feels more militant about these sort of things then its usually parked on the South Lambeth road before you get to Stockwell. It reg has POJ in it and its driven by an objectional ratty looking bloke.

Not that I advocate taking the law into my own hands. Would rather we could all just get on and share the road, but its hard not to get pissed off when someone actually threatens you with violence.

I've considered fabricating some caltrops..... :twisted:
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    GEPC wrote:

The solution is to slightly deflate right rear tyre, just enough to make it visible and noticable when driven.

He will then pump the tyre back up

You slightly deflate it again

He then knows he has a slow puncture and takes it to the repair shop, no fault found.

You deflate again (and again)

He goes back to the shop and is eventually forced to buy a brand new tyre, at which point you stop (unless you want to start on another tyre ...)
  • mrchrispy
    mrchrispy Posts: 310
    report it ffs, i hate people that comlpain that the police don't do anything and never report things. they tend to look at things that are getting reported so with out bringing it to their attention they are obviously not going to do anythnig.
  • GEPC
    GEPC Posts: 123
    Brains wrote:
    GEPC wrote:

The solution is to slightly deflate right rear tyre, just enough to make it visible and noticable when driven.

He will then pump the tyre back up

You slightly deflate it again

He then knows he has a slow puncture and takes it to the repair shop, no fault found.

You deflate again (and again)

He goes back to the shop and is eventually forced to buy a brand new tyre, at which point you stop (unless you want to start on another tyre ...)

Two interesting suggestions. I like the idea of making the bastard have to pay for something he doesn't actually need and I particuarly like the fact that this game could go on almost indefinitly. On the down side it requires a lot of effort on my side and it increases the chances of him catching me doing it.

Gambatte your suggestion of Caltraps is good. I had to look them up on wikipedia but I see what you mean. Highly effective!

I am thinking maybe some extendable hub spikes in the Ben Hur style might be an interesting addition. It will add a bit of weight but if I could get some Titanium ones....I will see if they sell them on Wiggle!
  • Report it for sure. I was spat at by a WVMs passenger a couple of weeks ago, not really very bright in a sign written van. I reported it to the company and action was taken, although not strongly enough in my opinion.

If I was in the luxurious position of passing the Green Hatchback everyday, I would consider a small can of Nitromors paint stripper, with a couple of pinholes in the can, placed strategically on the roof of said car. Takes it down to the metal !!! :P
    Oh alright I probably wouldn't, but it's the thought that counts :P
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Report it for sure. I was spat at by a WVMs passenger a couple of weeks ago, not really very bright in a sign written van. I reported it to the company and action was taken, although not strongly enough in my opinion.

If I was in the luxurious position of passing the Green Hatchback everyday, I would consider a small can of Nitromors paint stripper, with a couple of pinholes in the can, placed strategically on the roof of said car. Takes it down to the metal !!! :P
    Oh alright I probably wouldn't, but it's the thought that counts :P

or for those of us who commute on our mtb's with hydro disc brakes, a little 'slip' with some dot brake fluid should do the same thing!

I would avoid deflating the tires though, because I would wager that if he reports that to the police, then you would be for the high jump!.. something about endangering the public or somesuch nonsense!

Don't retaliate......you could end up in more trouble than him (that would suck for sure), but report it to the police....even if nothing comes of it, if you don['t tell them, then DEFO nothing will come of it huh!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Someone does anything like that to me - they lose their wing mirrors.

The Police will do nothing. You have their reg number, they don't have yours.
    Just make sure no cops are looking :wink:
  • cntl
    cntl Posts: 290
    Chinese saying:

"If you are going to pursue revenge, you'd better dig two graves".
  • Westbrom
    Decided ill be popping into local police station tomorrow and reporting it.

It most probably wont go anywhere but I should do it.

Main reason is not revenge. Its cos these muppets might have done to others an someone might be looking for another witness to come forward. after all its most probably my word against theirs.

I worry that they might also do it again on others and some one has to be accountable.

Il let you know the response from the police.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Easier if you still have fresh spittle on you for swabbing.
    I would also consider requesting a Tuberculosis test.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Westbrom
    Well I reported it.

Response was as expected. "Nothing much we can do but ill keep the details."

Didnt want to make statement but left full details in case needed as other witness for future cases. Feel good about that. Thanks for all the comments guys.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Spare waterbottle full of dot fluid for your 'brakes...'

works just as well as nitromores... If a car cuts you up in traffic, quick dash'll strip whatever it touches, job done.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I would defo not recommend taking the law into your own hands, because you might suffer badly for it. Who remembers the chap who came on here or C+ who'd knocked someone's wing mirror off, got followed by them, and arrested by the police. Big time in court, and lots of expense, as well as a record.