could i do it

beastinla
beastinla Posts: 304
edited May 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
hey so i have some new sram gears and sram shifter

the shifter is a sram x5

and i want to know if it is posable to put the shifter on the left side of my bar so it is on the same side as my rear brake leaver

back leaver left side
front leaver right side

could i do this

cheers ricky

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no. change your brakes over if you want the gears and brake on the same side.
    Just do not ride on the road as you will be breaking the Highway code.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467

Breaking the highway code how? I've never heard that one but would be interested in getting more info.
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    you legally need to have two fully functioning, independent brakes if your riding on the road. and your also not meant to takes your hands off the handlebars unless signalling or changing gear...
    i ride a hardtail
  • dhxcme
    So how does that effect what side your levers are on.
  • Will Snow
    it doesnt... but i guess your only going to run one brake, right???
    i ride a hardtail
  • Will Snow
    oh sorry, thought u wanted to run one brake, and have the shifter on the same side. my bad!!
    i ride a hardtail
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I dunno, never understood the original question!
  • dhxcme
    The guy wants to change the side that his shifter is located on.

It can be done.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    He'd have to change his thumb and little finger over!
  • dhxcme
    He'd have to change his thumb and little finger over!

Why with X5 he'd just have to stretch his thumb out some more than usual. I do it when i swop hands on the trail so I can use my camel back and still ride.
  • Will Snow
    dhxcme wrote:
    The guy wants to change the side that his shifter is located on.

It can be done.

can he?? unless he strips out one, i cant see it!!
    i ride a hardtail
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    dhxcme wrote:

Breaking the highway code how? I've never heard that one but would be interested in getting more info.

You're (legally) supposed to have the front brake on the right, and the rear on the left in the UK.
  • Will Snow
    doesnt matter, you can have them wherever. the shops might have to sell them on those sides...
    i ride a hardtail
  • god1406
    well... Nicklouse imparted that wisdom in another post a while ago, so ask him about it :)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i have been doing a little looking into this and the CTC gives this.
    it is illegal in this country (under the Pedal Cycles Safety Regulations 2004) for a retailer to sell a new bicycle with its brake levers the other way around.

However it is perfectly legal for you to ride with them the other way around and for a dealer to swap them over at your instructions, after the bike is sold.

But i am not 100% sure on the current rules of the road. As things may have changed since i last read the old book.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Will Snow
    nah, ive got two brakes on the right side, so im ok :wink:
    i ride a hardtail
  • god1406
    Will Snow wrote:
    nah, ive got two brakes on the right side, so im ok :wink:

you have both brakes on the same side of the bar?

strange man... :)
  • Will Snow
    its easier because i have all my fingers on one hand :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol::lol:
    i ride a hardtail
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    I was under the impression the rear brake has to be on the left so when you turn right (i.e. towards oncoming traffic) you can use your rear brake to stop whilst signaling. If your front brake is on that side then if you need to stop sharply theres the chance you will endo & fall into the oncoming traffic. Country's that ride on the right (US etc) have it the other way because of the same reason.
  • remember the frenches have their brake levers t'other way round and I've never heard of my french cru swapping their brakes round when they come over here
    Train hard, ride easy
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    According to the highway code you should have your front brake lever on the right so that when you are signalling to turn right you can cover the "safe" rear brake. But the highway code isn't exactly law.

As to the original question you can't mount a right hand shifter on the left and still be able to use it properly without some pretty in depth fettling. But you can buy rear shifters that mount on the left, or get them made, get in touch with the manufacturers and tell them you're disabled or something. I'm presuming you have a single chainring. Obvoiusly you can run a grip shifter back to front with greater ease.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    The Highway Code entry is advice, and is not compulsory. It can be cited in careless driving cases if you ignore it, although that's not so much of a concern to cyclists.

If you are selling a bike it's a different matter and the BS6102 that retailers have to comply with says front brake lever on the right.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    god1406 wrote:
    dhxcme wrote:

You're (legally) supposed to have the front brake on the right, and the rear on the left in the UK.

Nope. During daylight hours the only legal requirement (NOT the Highway Code - that is not legislation) for using a bike on public road is that it has brakes; one front and one back that are independantly operated. Says nothing about left or right etc.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    On the Highway Code..

The Road Traffic Act 1988 says: "A failure on the part of a person to observe any provision of The Highway Code shall not of itself render that person to criminal proceedings of any kind...
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team