Is It Worth It - Fork Set Up

Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf Posts: 776
edited April 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm now the proud owner of some RockShox Tora 302's. I've rang my 2 local bike shops and both quoted me about £30 for set up and installation.

My question is, can a muppet like me, who knows jack all about forks set them up? (And cut the steerer tube- it's far too long atm) or is a damn good idea for me to pay the money and get someone who knows what they're doing to do it?

Thanks

Comments

• Cutting...Park Tools.

Setup...depends how much you're willing to read. Toras are fairly simple though tbh.

IMO..
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as above read parktools then make a decision.

linky below.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mr mangos
    mr mangos Posts: 174
    If it helps any I would consider myself a careful novice but got the steerer on my new Revs cut no problem using an old stem as a cutting guide. For my money if you take things slow and make sure you know what you're doing 100% before you start, it shouldn't be too hard. Compared to the physical installation setup is a cinch. Did you get a manual with the Toras? Explains all in there.
  • milkywhite
    milkywhite Posts: 534
    sounds a bit expensive to me.

£15-£20 is what I'd expect to pay for fitting.

Setup is a piece of p***, like ^^^^ said. I take it they're solo air?
  • Papa Smurf
    Papa Smurf Posts: 776
    Compared to the Marzocchi's I was going to go for it's coil only.. Will try the good bike shop in the next town over, apparently they're very good and have helped me out in times of need for a fair price..