fitting new rear cassette

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
im getting some shimano r561 wheels for my trek pilot 1.0 is it easy to fit a new shimano hg 50 cassette on the back wheel and will i need a torque wrench

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Torque wrench isn't that important.

But you do need a chainwhip and cassette removal tool (+ spanner or torque wrench)

Chainwhip
    Cassette Removal tool

I've only selected those tools as examples as what you need, somewhere else might have them cheaper/better.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    but if you are fitting a new cassette to a new wheel then the cassette toll is the only thing needed and a Gert big spanner :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • redddraggon
    nicklouse wrote:
    but if you are fitting a new cassette to a new wheel then the cassette toll is the only thing needed and a Gert big spanner :wink:

Aye - I missed the "new cassette" bit.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • andy610
    andy610 Posts: 602
    which spanner is required for this job
  • redddraggon
    andy610 wrote:
    which spanner is required for this job

I use an adjustable one.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    A big adjustable one!
  • pjh
    pjh Posts: 204
    and watch out for the spacers!!!!

There'll be some plastic spacers between some of the cogs ... be careful when you remove the new cassette from the packing that you keep it all in the right order (cogs are obvious of course, but the spacers aren't so obvious as they don't go between every cog) .... if that makes sense :oops:

And don't overtighten the new cassette either :D

It's great to be .....
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    Just out of interest, a cycle cassette has sprockets, not cogs.

A cog is part of a gear, and a gear wheel meshes with another gear wheel, no chain. Its a bit pedantic I know, but it is the correct term. If you are interested,
  • redddraggon
    hodsgod wrote:
    Just out of interest, a cycle cassette has sprockets, not cogs.

A cog is part of a gear, and a gear wheel meshes with another gear wheel, no chain. Its a bit pedantic I know, but it is the correct term. If you are interested,

Why do the yanks call them "Cogsets" then? I also call them sprockets but it's obvious what he was talking about - it gets difficult when people talk about things like "quick release saddle" that things begin to get a bit difficult.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr