Accidentally bought another bike...

pst88
pst88 Posts: 621
edited April 2008 in Commuting chat
So I was passing the LBS the other day and noticed this nice looking road bike in the window but didn't get a chance to stop. I was near the bike shop this morning so I thought it wouldn't do any harm if i walked past and had a closer look. It's a Giant Bowery, singlespeed/fixed road bike. I liked the look of it and have been thinking about going fixed for a while now. Took it for a test ride and liked it... before I knew it I was reaching for my wallet and bought the damn thing!

Thinking I might've been a bit hasty now, I was caught up in the moment. The thing flies on the flat but I'm missing those gears when it comes to a hill. I've never ridden on drops either, it's kind of weird operating the brakes. Guess it's gonna take some getting used to.
Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010

Comments

• BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    Persevere and see how you feel in a week. I haven't ridden a Bowery but it certainly is a good looking bike. The hills will get easier and you'll really notice the difference when you return to gears! I (roughly) alternate fixed rides and geared cyclocross rides and appreciate both a lot more in comparison with each other
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I trust you're operating the brakes from the hoods not the drops though right?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Whereabouts in Brum are you? I think it's ideal for a fixed wheel as it's fairly undulating - unfortunately I lived out west in Quinton so the city centre trip was fine but beers with mates in Cradley/Halesowen/Colley Gate took it's toll on the way home all uphill!
  • Noel PT
    Noel PT Posts: 627
    I am buying a single speed too. Selling my commuter. I test road the Specialized Langster and I love it. A single speed is so smooth and there is no gears to make a noise. Cant wait to get it.

Haven't ridden the Giant but I think I'll go test it tomorrow.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I trust you're operating the brakes from the hoods not the drops though right?
    Yeah, from the hoods most of the time. It seems hard to get enough leverage from that position though? Maybe I have small hands or something?
    Graham G wrote:
    Whereabouts in Brum are you?
    Living in Kings Heath, commuting into city centre. There's a biggish hill (by my standards anyway) by the start/end of my journey but the rest is pretty much flat. Coming up there at the end of the ride is a bit tough but I just gotta grit my teeth and bare it.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010