Scott Scale 50... opinions?

frayz
frayz Posts: 40
edited May 2008 in XC and Enduro
Hey guys,

Some may be aware that im pretty new here and have recently bought an 08 Scoot Scale 50.

Ive been searching on here and can find very little about my bike. Is there any reason for that?

I tried lots of different bikes when i purchased it and i found it to be the best of the lot for under £800.

What are your thoughts? Any other Scott owners here?

Comments

• miket-62
    miket-62 Posts: 227
    Hiya
    I used to have a Scale 20 and loved it
    I don't know what differences there are between your and mine but Scott do make really good bikes.
    I'm currently riding the Genius 10 and finding that better than the Scale only because the ride is more forgiving on a long day ridee
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Really nasty bike, shoukd have avoided it.

;-)

Nah, its a lovely piece of kit, Scott ahave an impressive range this year, and top value. If you like the way it rides, that is all that matter. Go and enjoy, don't worry what othes think now, too late!
  • NeVeTaS
    NeVeTaS Posts: 14
    edited April 2008
    :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
    '13 Enduro 29
    '13 Rockrider Big RR
    '08 Orange Five Pro - Sold
  • frayz
    edited April 2008
    Plus one...
  • NeVeTaS
    NeVeTaS Posts: 14
    :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
    '13 Enduro 29
    '13 Rockrider Big RR
    '08 Orange Five Pro - Sold
  • Blundell
    Blundell Posts: 308
    Scott make top notch bikes.
    I'd probably say invest somewhere down the line is CF bars and a CF seat post, take a little of the harshness out of the rides.
    I have a scale 20 and if I've got a hill that I want to get up, this is my weapon of choice, even over my other bikes!
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Blundell - cracking bike collection you have there!
  • milkywhite
    milkywhite Posts: 534
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Blundell - cracking bike collection you have there!

Seconded. That's some sexy hardtails.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Is there a reason for you having 3 XC hardtails, other that 'cos you can and they are all gorgeous?
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Blundell
    Cheers folks! Nice to see my bikes make for eye candy! :wink:

Yeah Blackspur, I'm not 100% sure as to why I've gone overboard on the old hard tails. Until about 2004 I had just the one bike, this... http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1328270/ (but with grey RST Mozo pros on the front). The I moved over to Liverpool for a couple of years. When I eventually moved back to the Joke-on-Trent I decided to get back into mountain biking big time so I bought myself a 2004 Klein Attitude XV. Ever since I started mountian biking back in the early 90's i gurned over kleins, there was something extra in the looks of these bikes compared to others (IMO), especially the adroit and the carbon mantra pro.
    After that I've just wanted to know what the different materials ride like, so I ended up getting a my 2007 scale crimbo of 2006 and me litespeed this january.
    I do have a suspension bike.. that rides much like the litespeed funnily enough!
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1488726/
    I suppose actually I'm hartail mad as the trails that I ride regulalry are pretty smooth and short steep hills. In these conditions hardtails cut it much better than any FS could.
    Bottom http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1954681/
    Top http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1336232/
    of one of my typical riding hills.
    Hope that has answered some of the questions, and not shown be to be too much of a loop!
    Oh yeah just to keep up with the thread I rate scott bikes pretty damn highly. Wouldn't hesitate in buying another scott
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I'll agree with there being something about Klein's that's just special, I don't know what, but you can tell they are quality bikes just by looking at them.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Blundell
    Yeah, it's gutting how as a brand they are non existent now.. since good old trek have slowly phased them out of the market place.
    God look at this for a work of art!
    99_mantra_pro.jpg
  • mtbjunkie08
    mtbjunkie08 Posts: 192
    frayz wrote:
    Hey guys,

Some may be aware that im pretty new here and have recently bought an 08 Scoot Scale 50.

Ive been searching on here and can find very little about my bike. Is there any reason for that?

I tried lots of different bikes when i purchased it and i found it to be the best of the lot for under £800.

Only just noticed this post, I am also a recent Scott Scale (80) owner, see thread http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... =#14763797.
    And although it was basically ridiculed by most people who replied to my thread I still think mine and all Scott Scale bikes are very smart, well built, well specced and light machines.

I've had my Scale 80 for a few weeks now, it flys up steep climbs and feels very stable on any off-road terrain. The only thing I may change is the handlebar stem, as the 120mm one fitted as standard is very long and I feel slightly over-stretched, I am 6'1" so the 19inch frame is fine in every other way.
    I would be interested to know how you feel about the reach of your scale 50.
  • SOHROB
    SOHROB Posts: 21
    Just got a scale 30 brand new for what i think is a bargain price of £1100, so far im loving it as just getting back into riding.

The ride is a bit harsh but the way it climbs is spot on.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Personally I tried a load of bike s before I chose my Scott Scale. It was (for me) the best by a long way. Very VERY light and climbs like you;ve never seen. Very comfortable for hours in the saddle ... although a very racy postition.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • frayz
    frayz wrote:
    Hey guys,

Only just noticed this post, I am also a recent Scott Scale (80) owner, see thread http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... =#14763797.
    And although it was basically ridiculed by most people who replied to my thread I still think mine and all Scott Scale bikes are very smart, well built, well specced and light machines.

I've had my Scale 80 for a few weeks now, it flys up steep climbs and feels very stable on any off-road terrain. The only thing I may change is the handlebar stem, as the 120mm one fitted as standard is very long and I feel slightly over-stretched, I am 6'1" so the 19inch frame is fine in every other way.
    I would be interested to know how you feel about the reach of your scale 50.

Im not exactly tall at 5'10" and found that the 17" frame fitted me best. I rode Specialized and Marin as well as my Scott and to me the Scott felt best by a long way.

I know what you mean about feeling slightly over stretched, i too feel a little achey after say 10 miles or so. I did wonder about fitting some riser bars that raise me slightly.

I love my 50 and have covered approx 50 miles in 3 weeks now, but i cant help but want to make it lighter still lol :D
  • i'm off to get a scale 40 on saturday (well if i like it after a test ride that is). may ask them to swap flat handle bars to riser bars though......never got on with flat handle bars -uncomfortable as hell.

i'll post back to let you all know how i got on
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Just a thought, but if you go another £400 (quite a lot though) you could get a Scale 30 with carbon frame :twisted:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • i'm pretty sure i could afford it....but i'm being strict with myself this time and using the extra i have to put towards other bits and pieces to feed my hobbie!

the scale 40 will do me for what i want it for anyway.
  • got the scale 40 yesterday, what a bike. after getting the narrow straight bars swapped in shop for a set of easton E50 bars (at no extra cost!!!!) it made the ride feel even better for me personally.

took it out today for a few hours and continuasly left everybody else for dead, either on the flat or up hills! loving it!!!!!!