Linkage bolt question

stayhigh65
stayhigh65 Posts: 611
edited April 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning All

Hope y'all cool and groovy :)

Just a quick question for you about linkage bolts. I'm rebuilding my Slayer 50 and wondered if I need to do anything to them ie grease or threadlock before I put them in?
Wow great ship man. Looks like a fish, flies like a fish, steers like a cow.

HECKLER
exercise.png

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you might might not. are they treated? what are they mad from? what do they screw into?

if there is no locking device on the threads then some threadlock might help. Did they have any before or did they come lose before?

does anything pivot on the bolts directly? if yes then i am sure that the bush would like some grease.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stayhigh65
    Its the bolt that joins the chain stay to the front triangle, the rocker arm to the seat stay and the rocker arm to the front triangle. All of these will pivot with the suspension so I take it they would all need a little grease would be in order.

What would you suggest using, I have a Shimano lubricating grease that says it can be used for headsets, bb's, bearings and some Park anti seize or is ther something better?

HECKLER
    exercise.png
  • stayhigh65
    The bolts are a threaded sleeve which another bolt screws into from the other side. I stripped the frame prior to it being resprayed in November and cant honestly remember if they were greased or not.

Im not sure what they are made of, steel or aluminium I would guess?

HECKLER
    exercise.png
  • stayhigh65
    Well I've had a trawl about on the ol' wonder web and not come up with anything helpful, any ideas or suggestions?

HECKLER
    exercise.png