Gear set up problem

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited April 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
sorry if this is a really simple question but putting new drivetrain on bike and have adjusted top end screws so that the chain is making its way onto all the cogs on the rear cassette.

however the problem is that when the chain is in the smallest cog the rear derailler is almosted folded over and the chain is rubbing.

i have it on the smallest of the 3 cogs on the crank.

the chain is the right length as this was sorted prior to starting to sort the gears.

thanks in advance

Comments

• andy83
    forgot to add it seems to have suddenly started missing out the second smallest cog which is rather annoying

also the cable has been pulled as tight as can through rear mech
  • andy83
    just sorted the jumping with some slight adjustment of the end screws on the mech
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    however the problem is that when the chain is in the smallest cog the rear derailler is almosted folded over and the chain is rubbing.

i have it on the smallest of the 3 cogs on the crank.
    not a gear combo you should be using.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • andy83
    sorry dont understand what your saying

have nine speed xt cassette and deore crankset

i prob wont ever use this combination to be honest but just setting up the rear derailler before the front so the chain is set on the smallest of the 3 cogs on the crankset

will this problem not be apparent when on one of the other 2 chainrings as dont think will be using the smallest
  • You're trying to set the mechs for a gear combination they're not designed to run.
    There's no way you'll ever get the chain to run clean on a small/small gear combo without it being squiff in other gears and rubbing mech plates etc.

I hate mechs meself,and have a mental block when it comes to setting them,but have a read of Park tools webbysite,everything you need is there.
    Linky in Nicks Sig.
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This gear combo crosses the chain at an angle: as above there is no need to use this combo. The 22/32 combo can be replicated in the middle chainring, with a smaller cog. Chain runs straighter rather than at the most extreme angle, prolonging life of components and stopping any rub.

Also check the chain is the right length.
  • andy83
    thanks for your replies

chain length was checked prior to putting on mechs by putting round 2 largest rings and adding 2 links.

looks like need to get my front mech working and hopefully all should be ok i hope

not long till im done now hopefully, just need to sort brakes and front mech and my rebuild should be complete :D
  • milkywhite
    milkywhite Posts: 534
    So your front mech's not working at all? Take it off for the time being and place the chain on your middle ring by hand. You can run it on any rear gear without a problem then. Just put it back on when you get round to sorting it out.

I find the middle ring much more useful than the small anyway.
  • andy83
    no havent set it up yet, was trying to sort out the rear mech first

to be honest dont think i will ever use the smaller ring of the three on the crank so prob just going to set up front derailler and go from there then