Tomato juice

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited April 2008 in Health, fitness & training
Was looking at the composition of tomato juice as found in cartons in most supermarkets, and was thinking it could be an ideal post ride drink. Its about 3-4% carbs, a little protein and fibre but also salt and minerals. Would be isotonic, tastes good and definitely quenches thirst! Glug a pint down after a ride! Wouldnt have too much, as that salt is quite high - any thoughts?

Comments

• I actually like a glass of tomato juice about halfway through a good beer session as it settles my stomach a bit and allows me to consume a bit more beer than normal before blowing chunks.

Might be a good idea for a post ride drink though, I personally like the taste but I suppose it could be like a marmite thing where people will either love it or hate it. I can't possibly comment on the nutritional and recovery benefits of the drink but its gotta be better for you than a pint of bitter and a pie!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    supersonic wrote:
    Was looking at the composition of tomato juice as found in cartons in most supermarkets, and was thinking it could be an ideal post ride drink. Its about 3-4% carbs, a little protein and fibre but also salt and minerals. Would be isotonic, tastes good and definitely quenches thirst! Glug a pint down after a ride! Wouldnt have too much, as that salt is quite high - any thoughts?

only one thought......grooooooooooooh! I don't like it.....know others who also swear by it during a drinking sesh as well though.....not for me
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Add dash of pepper, tobasco sauce, or ideally Henderson's relish.... mmmmmmm!
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    I gotta be better for you than a pint of bitter and a pie!

HEATHEN!!! pie and a pint is the best ever recovery food EVER!! :lol:
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • I love Tomato juice, but the cartons from shops never seem to taste as good as the stuff you get in pubs. (not that big Tom crap though, thats horrid)
    Dreaming of a Flowing, Downhill, Singletrack, Double jumping, Hardtail paradise
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Personally i'd rather have the pie and a pint too :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    Can't really see the tomato juice and beer thing but it is nice after a ride. I prefer skimmed milk though.
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    Bit of extra salt after a ride is probably no bad thing, certainly as the weather gets warmer. Loads of sodium lost in sweat and needs to be replaced, leads to cramps if you don't....
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath