Macclesfield to Manchester (Deansgate)

Jsolid
Jsolid Posts: 15
edited April 2008 in Commuting chat
Macclesfield to Manchester (Deansgate)

Does anyone do this commute or has done this commute in the past?

I'm thinking about doing this once or twice a week to save myself some money and get my fitness up over the summer but i've never cycled to work before.

If any one does this/has done this, could you give me some information about the routes you take and how long it would take?

Many Thanks

Comments

• janm399
    janm399 Posts: 132
    I sometimes ride that way on my long commute (from Didsbury to Reddish through Macclesfield -- call me mad!). You can avoid the A6 if you go through Prestbury towards Mottram, Woodford, Bramhall, Cheadle and then join Didsbury rd, then continue to Wilmslow road, which becomes Oxford road. You'll need to brave the Oxford road through the city centre, but it will take you to Deansgate.

It is not a commute for the faint harted, but it is absolutely amazing in the warm and sunny summer days -- eh, I was thinking about another country for a moment :)

Jan
    Computer geek, Manchester Wheelers' member since 2006
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    I commute Macclesfield to Stockport daily. As Jan has stated ( is that the same Jan who was at the Club 10 last night ? ) the Macc, Prestbury, Woodford, Bramhall section is country lanes, not so good in the dark winter months, but an absolute joy in the summer.
  • janm399
    Yeah, the very same :) I was surprised that I managed to drag myself out of bed and ride to work this morning.
  • You can avoid oxford road by going burton road, yew tree road, lloyd street and straight onto deansgate by turning past harry halls.
    Dan
  • Mog Uk
    janm399 wrote:
    Yeah, the very same :) I was surprised that I managed to drag myself out of bed and ride to work this morning.

Ditto, I'm happily smelling the office out with Deep Heat at the moment, god my legs are sore.......
  • Jsolid
    Jsolid Posts: 15
    Mog Uk, how long does it take you to get from Macc to Stockport?
  • Mog Uk
    On a good day around 30mins. On a bad day around 40mins.

It's far easier going Macc > Stockport as it's downhill.....
  • janm399
    Mog Uk wrote:
    ...It's far easier going Macc > Stockport as it's downhill.....

How very true... on more level than just elevation drop ;)